1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Handle Blisters?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SalmonKing, May 17, 2011.

1. SalmonKing

SalmonKing

Apr 28, 2011
    Play right on them and suck it up, or temporarily alter my finger position to give them a chance to heal? Lance them or leave them alone?

2. Drain, bandage, and let it rest.

3. I recently (Sunday) stabbed my middle finger of my plucking hand with a standard tip screw driver which resulted in a blood blister I lanced it and cleaned it up real well and have it bandaged. I have taken to playing with a pick till it heals. I have the next show on June 11th which is a crazy twofer deal playing an outdoor gig during the early evening and a club gig that night so I want it to be well healed by than.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

When it's time ....pop it and drain it.......Keep it clean, soak it in Peroxide daily and use Neosporin...dont mess with it.
    When it's time..cut away the dead skin and repeat the peroxide / neosporin treatment..the peroxide promotes healing...

5. When I started out, I used to get massive blisters on my three main playing fingers, I mean bad, sometimes they would burst (sorry for being so crude) mid gig and just destroy my lovely white scratch plate.

Just play through it, over and over and it will eventully stop blistering and become rock hard. No one ever said it was going to be easy ;)

If the bllisters are still there after a gig, sterilise a needle, lance (from the side of the finger, always worked better for me) and then rest it for a day or two, trying not to break the skin where the blister was.

Cheers

Andrew

6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Pop em and rest em. When I was starting out I put a drop of super glue on my tips to toughen them up.

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    I always carry the old fashioned cloth medical tape. When I feel a 'hot spot' starting...I tape it off and go on as usual (this may need to be repeated through the night). IF, after a gig, you have a blister - lance it, disinfect with solution of choice, let it breath, and find an alternate method of playing for a couple days. Of course your practice schedule during the week and a proper warm up before a gig should minimize these occurrences. The above (of course) is IMO & IME :bassist:

8. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I've usually played on them until they burst naturally, the state on some those scratch-plates after those particular gigs was interesting, and painful.

I use Spike Lavender Oil to harden the skin a little so I can still play on them, I don't lance them, when they burst they burst, then I'll play with a pick until the rawness subsides, eventually your skin will harden and adapt, but in the meantime, youse got to pay a bit :)

9. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Drain, rest, play through it, build up rock solid masses on the tips of your fingers.

I always enjoy it when I have to give blood. The nurse always has to try every single finger before the prick pierces through. No needle can penetrate my calloused fingers. Bass playing = Indestructible.

10. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Cut your fingers off at the first knuckle and start over....

11. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    True, I find I can lift hot plates out of the oven if I'm quick enough with the tip's, another guy I played with way back mentioned this too, I wouldn't advise it too much nevertheless :)

12. SalmonKing

SalmonKing

Apr 28, 2011
    I lanced the main blister and am now playing on top of it. I actually have less sensation there now than I did before the blister formed.

13. i touched a car's cigarette lighter and didn't even feel it.

It did burn the callus away though.

14. Suck it up! You think it's bad playing bass guitar, try playing a double bass with little to no amplification, full rhythm section and horns.

I used to take a sewing needle and drain my blisters; it only made me the strongest, most badass person I know. Be a man and play through it. After a few moths, you'll love yourself for how tough you are.

15. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    When Nolan Ryan was plagued by blisters early in his major league pitching career, he soaked his fingers in pickle juice. He made it to the Hall of Fame, so perhaps he was on to something.