How to handle exchange of item and money for online purchase - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe_Bass87, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Joe_Bass87

Joe_Bass87 Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2017
    I have a bow posted for sale in the classifieds. I'm not sure what the best way to handle the exchange of the item and money is if the item has to be shipped. Trust is the best I can think of, and I'm wondering if any of you here have any suggestions for how both parties can be assured that the exchange is legitimate.

Any advice welcomed!

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Before the era of instant payment when I sold something requiring shipping that item, I always held the item until I had cash in hand (or bank account) before shipping. It usually worked out OK with the exception of the occasional attempt to scam with a bogus money order, or never sending payment then saying it got lost in the mail and I should honor the agreement. As a buyer back then I never had any lost payments or sent any iffy MO, so I can only assume those people were not being completely honest about things. I did OTOH complete many pain and drama free transactions by holding an item until I was paid or paying before my item was shipped.

3. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Make sure you have a PayPal account. Get the money first before you ship. I also noticed that your profile account has no info and you have no rating. That will make it more of a challenge for others to trust you. Just saying. My suggestion would be for you to get more involved in some online discussions, fill out your profile and sell a few smaller items. This will increase your positive feedback rating and buyers will feel more secure knowing you are trust worthy. Hope that helps.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've only been on the buyer side of TB classifieds, but have always been satisfied with PayPal. I'm also a business user, and have literally never had a problem with their service.

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    As a buyer if you designate your PayPal transfer as goods and services you have a level of protection through PayPal. You can contest a purchase if you feel you've been deceived or cheated. This means PayPal takes a percentage of the total (around 3% I think). I would always suggest doing it this way, you can send the payment as a gift to avoid the seller cutting PayPal in but you'll have no protection. If a PayPal payment has been sent to you and you accept it then I'd ship. I quess you could always have a money order mailed to you but PayPal is faster and offers the buyer a level of protection.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021