How to handle this amp/cab combo at jamsession?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Salamenster, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Regularly, I go to a jam session. The amp there is provided for the jammers, but I have difficutly finding a good sound.

The amp is a Eden head into SWR 4x10" cab. It seems that there are 3 options: Scooped, mud with no definition, or way too clanky on the highs.

I'm playing a P with flats. On my Ibanez Promethan 3110 combo at home, I just keep everything flat and my tone is balanced, though focussed toward the lows and the low-mids... Exactly as I like it.

My idea is that it's the SWR cabinet. For some reason I think that SWR is one of those hi-fi scooped modern-tone amplifier builders. Though I could be wrong.

Let me know how you would handle this combination, without too much of eq'ing.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    First, reach behind it and turn the horn on the cab all the way off.

Then, set all EQ knobs flat, and turn off any compressor, "contour" or scooping EQ preset buttons.

Try that, then tweak to taste.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    ^^^^^^

That's what I'd suggest as well.

4. If only I could reach behind the amp. But I'll give it a try. I had already turned off any 'contour' and 'enhance'-thingies. But I'll defintely look for more next time. :)

EDIT: I'm also not sure I'm 'allowed' to turn the horn all the way off. It's a jamsession. Some people want the horn... But again, I'll see next time. Any other suggestions or experiences very welcome!

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    If you're allowed to tweak the control setting on the amp, why wouldn't you be able to do the same on the cab?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    It doesn't hurt it to turn it down all the way.