Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to harmoinize vocals with no moniors

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by adamaarts, Oct 14, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    some shows my band plays are where we provide our own pa, or the pa there has no monitors, but whe we do shows like that there is no way i can hear my vocals, so i cant harmonize with the singer, its discouraging when you know your off key, and im sure i am most of the time, when i cant hear myself. any tips/advice for how to harmonize better when you cant hear, or any tricks to listening that im not doing? thanks

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm... you could always try sticking your finger in one ear. I see singers do it, but if you're playing bass at the same time you'd need a third hand.

Maybe try using one ear plug.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've seen boxes that tap a headphone signal from a mic line - so you send to the board but can also hear yourself. For example, theres the Rolls PM50 which might do the trick - there's another Rolls model, the PM350 that lets you blend a mic tap, monitor mix and instrument input which I'm interested in for using at church.

I haven't actually had the chance to try either of these so I'd be interested if anyone has any practical experience or knows where they can be tried in the UK.

Wulf

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Outside of getting some type of monitoring system, practice is the way to sing harmonies without monitors. Let me say, that singing harmonies without monitors is difficult.

In the same way that practicing the bass can help you play without having to look at the fretboard, practicing your harmonies are the best way to compensate for crappy/no monitor system. Practice the notes you are supposed to hit, and how they feel in you throat and mouth. Be aware of your body's feedback when you are singing certain notes. For example, if you are singing a high C, practice singing that high C and how it feels to you. Everyone should be able to hit their note with the right practice.

But,I'll say it again, the best way to sing harmonies is to have some monitor system. The the other option is to bring down your stage volume so you can hear yourself singing.

5. Hmmmm... Pete wulf and jive have some interesting ideas.

Personally, I couldn't imagine doing a gig without vocal monitors. Vocal monitors (wedges, sidefills, or in-ears) IMO, are just as important to a live performance as the instruments we are playing.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Position the main speakers so they are next to the stage on both sides even with the front of the stage or slightly behind the front of it, then when you sing get close to the edge of the stage so you are almost even with the speakers so you can hear yourself sing and use the mains as monitors, be careful of mic positioning not to get feedback. I have seen this done by my buddys band during gigs at smaller venues.

7. RicPlaya has the right idea.We stopped using monitors about 6 months ago and haven't missed them. We just set the mains slightly behind and tilt them in slightly so as to avoid any feedback.Since we mix from stage we also get a better idea of the mix as well.Remember as well that your vocals should be ON TOP of everything else. You can be the greatest instrumentalist in the world but if the vocals suck your show sucks.:meh:

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Ricky!