Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to hold a pick in your right hand while playing fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Benji5678, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Benji5678

Benji5678

Jan 5, 2006
    Maine
    i play bass with both my fingers and a pick depending on the tone and i play in a band and we just wrote a song i there is one part in where it really dosnt sound right if i play with my fingers. i was wondering if there is anyway to hold a pick in your hand while playing fingerstyle. Ive been experimenting but not sucsessfull yet.

any help would be apreciated

2. You could hold the pick between thumb and index as usual and use your middle and ring fingers to pluck. That's what I do if I want to use my fingers when holding a pick.

3. Benji5678

Benji5678

Jan 5, 2006
    Maine
    ya i tried that but i have a problem, i cant accieve the speed that i need with only two fingers.

4. Hold the pick against your palm with your pinky and ring fingers. Doing it this way, you still have your thumb for anchoring and have maximum speed/stamina/etc with your index and middle fingers.

And getting the pick from that position to inbetwen your index and thumb isn't difficult, atleast for me it isnt.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. ooo that was pretty cool Jauqo. Never seen that before.

Granted it's probably not what you're looking for, I will use a thumb pick and then anchor my thumb when doing finger style. Not sure if you anchor or have a floating thumb; if you float you'd probably need to practice a bit with your silencing technique, otherwise though you shouldn't really have an issue using a thumbpick. Well just a thought.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  8. when i used to pick & slap i would hold the pick in my teeth.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  10. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Palming is a good technique to learn.

A thumbpick might be a good approach as well.

Either will take some time to master and get used to.

11. I used to use a thumbpick when I was playing one song of my old band (RIP :) ) where I was using a pick to play the song and two-hand tapping in the break part...