How to hold body while painting?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by callmebono, Dec 4, 2004.

1. I apologize for this silly, simple question.

I see some folks use something that looks like a copper tubing thats crimped on the end and then bolted to the neck cavity. That seems like a smart idea, and I could suspend it from the ceiling and thus have easy access to the body while spraying in an upright position and be able to go around it 360 degrees.

Went to Home Depot and Orchard Supply hardware looking for some crimped aluminum or copper tubing, but they look at me like I am a fool for asking. I cant imagine crimping the end myself - I dont have tools with that kind of force!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    If the body is a bolt-on. just bend a wire coat hanger and hang the body by hooking the body through the neck-bolt holes. If it's a neck-through, suspend the body through a tuning key hole.
    If there's no holes in the body yet, screw a small eyelet into the middle of the neck pocket and use that.
  3. Hmmm.

Here's what I do:

1. Buy one of those tubular garment racks:
    garment rack at Target

2. Put a large piece of cardboard on top of the garment rack.

3. Drape a plastic drop cloth over the whole thing with two slits cut in one side.

4. Twists a wire coat hanger, or two together, so that it'll hook through one of the neck pocket holes and hook onto the garment rack.

5. Wear some long kitchen rubber gloves and put your arms through the slits in the plastic.

now you've got a custom paint shed.

*shrug* or if someone's got a better system I'm definitely willing to learn. :)
  4. The tubing they are using probably isn't copper. It's what's called EMT tubing or rigid metal conduit used in electrical installations. It's a soft, thin walled steel tubing that is the friend of do-it-yerselfers. I would recommend the ¾" or the ½" for this project

Flattening it is very, very easy. 2 ways to do it - the brute force way is to get a hammer and beat it flat on your patio. Check with the better half before breaking up the Mexican tile here :D The second is to just clamp it in a vise and squeeze it together. It'll go flat under relatively little force. Then drill your holes.

Of course the tubing is only one way. You could use 1" x 2" wood firring strips, an old twisted neck, pieces of old lawn chairs, or the wire hooks like have been mentioned. I'll tell you from experience that it's good to have something stiff enough to be able to hold the body upright in your hand by this bar so you can spray and turn it while holding. It's a good way to be able to get light to shine on all of the nooks and cranny's so you can see your thin spots.

OR, how about this...(I just though of it as I typed this)

What about an old mike stand with an attachment to mount the body upside down by the neck pocket? Then it could be spun around while the painter stays in the same spot. It could also be moved to another location for drying. You could even just buy the things new at one of the MF sales. You can get them for about $5 when they really drop the price but you might have to get a cable and a mic for that price too!

Hmmm, I sorta like this idea...
  5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass