Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to hook up a balanced to an unbalanced

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassdr, Jun 12, 2002.

1. I have a Trace Elliot series 6 amp and have tried to hook up my Behringer Modulizer Pro in the effects loop for chorus etc. Every other effect I use is fine but the Behringer has a "buzz" as soon as I hook it up. I've tried taking it out of the rack and plugging it in elsewhere to eliminate the ground as a cause. I now think that it is because the Behringer has a 1/4" balanced (tip/ring/sleeve, as well as an XLR in/out). How do I hook up a balanced to an unbalanced unit easiest? I suppose I could run a 1/4 unbalanced cord from the effects send on the Trace to a direct box and then to the unit via XLR and back. This seems expensive and cumbersome. Is there a better way?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just use unbalanced cords (tip-sleeve), and make sure everything in your rack is plugged into the same circuit. You also might try some of those little plastic isolators under your rack screws so you don't create any ground loops between your amp and effects.

3. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried regular cords and actually taking it out of the rack and plugging in across the room. The Trace doesn't buzz with any other effects, only the Behringer and the Behringer doesn't buzz with any other amp????? Is it a demon spirit?

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sounds like a load mismatch. What exactly is the signal chain you are using?

5. Zon Sonus 5 Special to a Sabine RT-7100 tuner which I use also as an A/B switcher between basses, 1/4" amp out of the Sabine straight to the active/passive in jack of the Trace. I am trying to hook the Behringer in the Trace's effects loop. The Trace runs to 2 Aguilar GS112's

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

In the effects loop is not usually the best place for a compressor. I would need to know the impedences and loading information for each unit. Have you tried putting the compressor between the pre-amp and the power amp sections? Look for pre-amp out, power-amp in jacks.

7. The Behringer unit is a Modulizer Pro, a multi-effects unit that I primarily use for chorus or flange. Should I try putting it next after the Sabine before the amp?

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Woops, my bad. That should definitely go in the effects loop. First, check with the manufacturer that the effects unit can use an unbalanced signal. In almost all cases it can, but there are some execptions. While you are there check the input and output impedence and load capacity specs for both units. Then make sure you are not running a power cable next to the audio cables. If that doesn't work, try replacing the audio cables. If that doesn't work, try connecting your send directly to your return. If that produces noise, you may have a problem with the effects loop.

9. Oh! That's what those are for!

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc