How to ID a Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Nov 17, 2004.

1. I was in a store today that had a used Spector 4 string. I know nothing about the Spectors. It had no model name on it at all. Are they all made in USA ? This one was a black neckthru with Schaller tuners - back was rounded (concave?)- it was only $800 CDN.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not all made in USA.....

There are mainly:

Neckthrough+ concave means it was PROBABLY a Euro neckthrough (Czech)
  3. Send an email to Spector. They may be able to tell you from the serial number where it was made. Also the Czech models are "CRFM" or something of the sort, and solid maple. I believe the Korean ones are not carved like the one you saw, and aren't solid maple.
  4. Czech basses are marked as such on the back of the headstock.If it's not, it's probably a Korean NS-2A, and will have a serial number that begins with NS stamped into the electronics cavity cover. Skip it.
    If it has crown inlays in the fingerboard that look original then grab it and run, because that would make it a US or recent Czech bass, and a very fine instrument.
  5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Look at the back of the headstock. that will tell you everything.
  6. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    If you're looking for an entry level neck-thru Spector, I wouldn't totally discount the NS-2A's. I bought two brand new in 1990 and they aren't bad. A used one is a different story and as with any used instrument, go over it with a fine-tooth comb and play it through a rig if possible. The CRFM(Czech Republic Flamed Maple) and newer Euro 4 Spectors will usually say "Precision Crafted Under License In The Czech Republic - Stuart Spector" or something to that nature on the back of the headstock. USA made Spectors will usually have Stuart Spector's signature and Woodstock, NY along with the model number and serial number written on the back of the headstock. Any other questions can be answered by P.J. Rubal at He's a real gem and will answer all questions personally.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some are carved. My NS2000/5 was carved, though definitely not solid maple. I think it was either basswood or alder (according to the Spector manual).

But, yeah, it'll say on the back of the headstock.
  8. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Not all Euro Spectors had the "crown" inlays. Some of the first Czech Spectors had dot inlays and I believe most of those were the SSD Spectors. They all have a brass nut and gold bridge. PJ would know more. :D
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think you're right in saying this. The SSDs that i have seen had dot inlays.
  10. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I've seen some SSD Spectors out there for dirt cheap and if you run across one, buy it. They're basically the same bass without the double s logo on the headstock and a few other features.
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What everybody else said. Blah Blah Blah. Not all the NS-2a were junk. I don't know what US to Canadian is but don't pay more than 400US for a used NS-2a. Unless it's the cats pajamas.
  12. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    +1... I wouldn't give more than $500 US for a really nice one. If you're buying one, pay special attention to the neck.
  13. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    All the above is present and correct! :D

Additional points:
    If it has dot inlays and black hardware it is likely a Korean NS2A (or B or C) from the Kramer days. Normally these have Spector PJ pick ups but occasionally these have been upgraded to EMG PJs/ Nice basses but not a patch on the Euro or US models. :)
    In response to the point about SSD basses having dot inlays, there were some with crowns. I have a white SSD NS4 with crowns, gold hardware and EMG soapbars.... :bassist: