How to ID a Walter Woods Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gorgula, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Is there a way to determine the model (i.e. High Power, Ultra etc.), the date of manufacture and the specs (stereo/mono, watts per channel, bridgable etc.) of a "newer" (last couple years or "Electracoustic") Walter Woods amp?

How many different models has he been making recently?
    I've looked at a bunch of pictures here on TB and on Ebay and it seems very difficult to tell one from another. :confused:
    Someone mentioned that all of this info is silkscreened on the bottom. Is this correct?

From the pics I've seen, the only difference I can tell is the color of the lamp on the front (green , orange , red etc.).

So if you buy one of these things on Ebay, how can you be sure of what you got?
  2. Hey Gorgula,
    Per WW's catalog these are the amps he is making:
    Hi-Power 450M (Green) 450W@4Ohm/300W@8Ohm - 1499.00
    Super Hi-Power 650M (Amber) 650W@4Ohm/450W@8Ohm - 1799.00
    Ultra Hi-Power 1200M (Blue) 1200W@4Ohm/800W@8Ohm - 2199.00

Hi-Power 1000S (Green) 225/350 per side@8/4Ohm or 700/1000 bridged at 8/4Ohm - 2299.00

Hope this helps.
  3. Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Does any one know if the specifics are printed on the bottom of each amp?
  4. I just got the Hi Power amp, and the it has LOUD 450 Watt @ 4 ohm. An unbelievable amp.
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    There are no specs on the bottom of the amp. The newer Electracoustic models say so across the front of the amp, you can't miss it. The serial # is actually the date of production. The top cover sometimes has to be removed to view the serial #.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes there are some specs printed on the least both of mine (one mid 80s vintage, one a recent E.A.) have them.

Easiest way to tell wattage is by looking at the pilot light!

Red: low power
    Green: high power
    Amber: super high power
    Blue: ultra

Stereo amps will have a pan control, the stereo E.A.s have red (rather than black) top panels
  7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The only info on the bottom of mine is about the international voltage switch, Walter's address, a couple of warnings for idiots, and how many ohms for the speaker outputs. Some of the earlier ones may have had the model # on the bottom. That's the only info I've ever recalled seeing in over 20 years of experinece with Walter's amps.
  8. My WW Ultra has minumal info on it too. Needmore is pretty much an authority on WW amps. I love mine. I use it most of the time for everything. I still love my QSC-PLX2402 and Demeter 201 VTBP201S too. Sound fabulous through either of my Bergantino rigs, NV610 or HT/EX112 's. Both rigs sound huge with either amp set up.

Hey NEEDMORE, I see you gave up on the Bergs and went to all EA. Interesting......I am suprised, but tastes do change.
  9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I owned the Bergs for 6 months and they sounded great when I was in the audience listening to someone play through my rig, but it never sounded good to me on stage. The EA's let me hear exactly what I want and the band members like them better too.

There is only one authority on WW amps and that's Walter himself. I have owned about 20 or so of his amps(including his 2400 watt model) and have every brochure he put out that I'm aware of since 1980, so I do have some knowledge to share. :D
  10. Cool! I really need to re-try some cabs that I've auditioned in the past. I tried a lot of them with my old Mesa 400+ and was disappointed and cost me lots of money in the process. I love the 400+, but it didn't have the power for many of the cabs I like now. I'll have to take the trusty little red amp up to Chi-Town and have some fun one of these days. I love the Bergs, but I'm intrigued by the Accugrooves, and EA just for S's and G's. It will be hard to beat my Bergies though!
  11. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've had my Ultra Wally about 2 years, new from the man. There are no markings anywhere on the outside of mine that distinguish the model, etc. The blue power lite does mark the Ultra. Unfortunately, someone most likely could insert a blue light to confuse a prospective buyer. For that kind of money, maybe one should be familiar with the insides? Good luck!
  12. Hey Gorgula,

If you're interested, I've got a WW amp that I'm about to list for sale. It's a Super Hi-Power model (450 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 650 @ 4). Let me know if you're interested in talking more. Thanks and take care.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, I'm not crazy :p

I took a look (again) at both my Woods heads and on the bottom is silkscreened the model number and wattage at 8 ohms.

As I said in my earlier post, one is mid 80s vintage and one is an Electroacoustic.
  14. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Veerrry interesting!! :meh: