Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to identify a real vintage fender pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 5, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi!

Im bass shopping next week foir a 70`s fender, not re issue, and i want to make sure everything is original.... so how can i check if pickups are original?

thanks!

2. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I don't know if there's any way to tell without taking it apart.

On my MIJ Jazz, there are metal plates under the foam padding that lies beneath the pups.

I've never seen that on any other bass.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What era 70's? The late 60's and early 70's have grey bottoms. Cloth wires went to plastic sometime in 1968, my 68s had grey bottoms, plastic wires that were yellow/black.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Sorry my english is not so good, but what do you mean by grey bottoms? and by cloth wires?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Grey bottoms refers to the bottom surface of the pickup. The 'fiberboard' material that Fender used at that time wasn't black as it had been earlier, but a grey color.

Cloth wires...In 'vintage' Fender (and modern reproductions) the wires that come off the pickups aren't plastic coated as we see now. They were wrapped with a woven cloth sleeve.

I'm not sure how to be any more specific than that, but I'd be happy to try to talk around this if it helps. :)

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cheap Yamaha's also have the ground plate.