Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to identify a Wilfer

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bryan.worley, Dec 29, 2005.

1. bryan.worley

bryan.worley

Dec 29, 2005
    Lowell, MA
    I have a 1979 Wilfer, looks like a spruce arch top and maple sides with an arched maple back. The only identifying mark is the label which, I believe has the serial number on it, the number is: BPS 204. Does anybody know what model WIlfer this bass is, or how I can find out? I tried emailing Wilfer, but didn't get a response. Thanks for any info.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    What does the Label actually say, all of it. Can you Post detailed Pics of your Bass?

3. bryan.worley

bryan.worley

Dec 29, 2005
    Lowell, MA
    I can't post any pics right now, but here's what the label says:

Emanuel Wilfer BPS
    gegrundet 1905 204
    meisterwerkstatte fur kontrabasse v.cello
    anno: 1979 Wilfer's signature
    Made in West Germany

That's exactly what it says, the 1979, is written in pen, the BPS 204 is a stamp, and the signature says Emanuel Wilfer.

Again, thanks for any info at all. It's appreciated.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Well I guess it's from 1979 just after Wenzel Wilfer retired and the "BPS 204" must be the model. As far as the "gegrundet 1905" I have no clue unless the Wilfer Family started in 1905. Anton Wilfer made them in the 1930s as I have seen several dated 1936 but none older. I guess the models in 1979 are different than now or at least the names are different.

5. bryan.worley

bryan.worley

Dec 29, 2005
    Lowell, MA
    That's about all the info I could find out myself. Thanks, though. You, if anybody, would know. It plays like a dream, and I only paid $300 bucks for it in '95.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Bring it by. I'll give you double.. lol

7. bryan.worley

bryan.worley

Dec 29, 2005
    Lowell, MA
    Last night, I took some pictures of the bass for you to check out. I've identified the BPS 204 as an identifying mark from a previous owner, so that answers that question. However, I think I may have been wrong about the date. Take a look, I think it may be 1929, instead of '79. I could be wrong. Let me know what you think. And yes, it was $300 at a garage sale. I couldn't believe it either. I'm about to have it cleaned up and there's some blending to be done on the nicks as well.

8. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    "gegrundet 1905" means "founded in 1905"

Mikael

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't think there was a West Germany in 1929.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I just saw the pics.. It is 1979 and E. Wilfer was probably not a seed yet at that time!

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Yup, that was my assumption.. Thanks for clearing that up.

12. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    My Wilfer just has his name on the back! I wish he would get back to David Gage about getting a label for the inside of the bass though. It's been without a label for about two years now.