How to improve my SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Feb 26, 2003.

1. I have an SWR Workingman 4004. And it sounds like dog pooh. My bass sounds real nice through an all tube amp which I believe my amp is not. So!! How the hell do I improve my SWR to give it a brighter my lively tone? The problem is that is sounds so flat and compressed and my low end just sounds woody, like the low end on the Brown album by Primus. There isn't any brightness at all it doesn't sound alive. What do I do. Other than buy a better amp.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's strange because my experience with the Workingman's series was that I could get it bitingly bright if I wanted. Don't really know what to say...maybe you got a dud. Honestly never heard anyone complain about an SWR not being able to go bright enough.

brad cook
  3. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    trade it for a ampeg, or if you really want to go low Ashdown
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    What kind of speakers are you using?

Is your amp still under warranty (you might want to have it checked out).
  5. I use a brand new Ampeg 6x10. The highs are bright but everything else is muddy. I have no mids in the low end. I'm looking for that punchy Tool bass sound. I know it's pretty hard to duplicate Rickenbacher and Wal but there gotta be some way to get those bright pings in the low end.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Exactly. Many people complain because SWR is a little TOO bright. They are know for their sharp attack and bright sound. Have you played with their recommended amp settings? Maybe your tone knobs aren't matching the sound you are going for.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    try turning the aural enhancer knob the other way ;)
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like you got a defective amp.

I suggest you have it checked out.
  9. I appreciate it. I don't know what the problem is. Oh well I'm getting rid of it. I have messed with the aural enhancer too.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm your basic 21st Century Schizoid Man in the court of the Crimson King.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Trade it for some Eden gear.

Sorry, but Munji didnt say it so I had to.

12. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Have you tried using your Workman with the SWR enclosures (4x10 or 6x10) I have the SM 500 head and I have found that some of the SWR amp heads doesnt necessarily match very well with other types of enclosures. Maybe you should try your amp head thru an SWR cabinet 1st,then if it is not responding the way you think it should sound,then there could proably be a problem.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you don't like the workingman after messing around with the EQ/aural enhancer theres not much you can do. it's not like a Pro series SWR amp that you can change the preamp tube in.

i'd try setting the EQ flat and the aural enhancer at 12:00, and then make minor adjustments from there. if you can't get it to sound good that way i suppose it's time to trade her in.
  14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  15. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Tie some chains around it and toss it in the nearest lake....

Sorry for piling on -- not a big fan of SWR, particularly the Workingman series, and especially the 4004 head.

Perhaps an outboard pre-amp -- maybe a Sadowsky -- might help with the tone.
  16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Course you're not a fan of use Peavey gear!!! ;)

But seriously...sounds like our friend got a dud, and he should get it checked out or replaced...if it still doesn't give the tone he wants, then SWR is not for him. Or he needs to look at the Pro series.