1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to improve your gas mileage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Let's face it: the cost of oil/gas will conultimately continue to rise (on average), unless something drastic happens.

So, list any and all possible ways to modify, alter, fix, clean, etc. your car which are known (or even suspected) to improve the car's efficiency.

Here's a gimme: a clean air filter.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    One thing I read about my XTerra/Frontier is when you accelerate, try to keep it under 2000rpm.... this is just for second to the last generation of Xterras/Frontiers...

:)

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Buy a smaller car. I got rid of the BMW 320i and replaced it with a new Smart 4 door. 6 cyl 2.0 down to a 3 cyl 1.0 engine. Get around 60mpg. Good enough for me.

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Correct tire pressure.

5. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    Stop driving. Not altogether, just stop driving as much as you do.

6. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Keep your car clean and waxed to reduce wind drag.

Do not drive with a heavey foot.

Use cruise control whenever possible and drive at the optimal MPG speed for your car

Keep your tires fully inflated.

Keep the weight in the car to a minimum. Remove any excess cargo, etc. and drive with at most 1/2 a tank of fuel at all times.

Do not use your A/C-- use the vent or roll down the front windows and rear windows part way (opening the rear windows will allow air to flow out of your car thus reducing the drag from the open front windows).

Do not idle your car. If you are waiting double parked outside a store, kill the engine.

Drive less-- car pool, walk, use public transit, buy more groceries, etc. at once to make fewer trips, etc. At 20 MPG and $3 per gallon, it costs you $.15 per mile to drive around so do all of your errands in one loop.

Sell your car and buy a smaller one that is more fuel efficient.

7. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've done this in my focus and I've seen upwards of a 10% improvement in city fuel economy. How much change you would see from this would depend on how hard you accelerate before changing. I also discovered there is no point in accelerating even reasonably quickly as I almost always wind up at the same place at the same time as the guys who are jamming it off the line and then slamming their brakes at the next light.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One thing I do is at stop signs if there is a car in front of me I pull up until my bumper is touching their bumper and then slam the gas to move them along. This helps them save gas.

bc

9. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Most times, I encounter big SUVs and minivans out accellerating me off the line from a red light (I have a Bimmer). Maybe they have a lower gear, but I think it's a waste of gas! Going normal speeds, I eventually catch up to them. I can't afford to race anymore. :bawl:

10. Yeah, exactly. Even if you do the math of acceleration and speeding, mathematically you only save 10-15 minutes even when driving for an hour or more. So that's good advice to save mileage. For tips on how to improve mpg, since that what the poster asked for....

Grounding kits supposedly lower idle and improve overall performance (including mpg). you can get some for around 30 on ebay.

New spark plugs

New air filter

Definitely use cruise control and drive as slow as you can take it

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you drive a smaller car, tailgate... Especially if you can find an SUV to follow. They're smashing thru the air for you, thus reducing the amount of air you have to push.

Think of it as drafting!

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You could take it one step further and have an electrically controlled trailer ball socket that you could extend and attach to vehicles that have a trailer hitch and ball on them. ;)

13. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    the usual- plugs, wires, airfilter (k&n or equivalent if possible)
    the others- no a/c and windows down in the city, windows up and a/c on while on highway, a/c on recirculate when in use, tailgate UP on a pickup (saw this on an episode of mythbusters).

14. a big over looked item is the oxygen sensor.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    High quality oil. I don't use pennzoil. It's a paraffin based oil that gums up.

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

That's a great tip Brad, and I think helping your fellow motorists save gas is very kind of you. Keep up the good work.

One way that I save gas is that anytime I'm driving down hill, I'll turn off my engine and coast down the hill. I've had a few problems because the power steering and power brakes just don't work, but I think that the fuel I'm saving is worth a couple of scraped up paint jobs and dents.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't forget the broken pedestrian legs!

bc

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm soooooo job hunting closer to home. I'm up to $25 a day for friggin gas :bawl:

19. Rather than concentrate on the car, try changing driving habits. One thing that works great is drive slower. During the 70's gas crisis (you couldn't even get gas on an odd or even day) I found that driving 50-55mph on the freeway really improves mileage. In those days we had 1970's smogged out cars that really guzzled gas.

Of course in this day and age, driving 50-55mph on the freeway might get you in a road rage incident...:mad:

20. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A cold air intake would help...

My friend's 4-runner did 13 city... got the KN cold air intake, now it gets 17 city.

Headers help quite a bit too, as well as giving you more overall power.

Synthetics... dont use the ac... drive nicely... don't speed... drive less... yada yada