1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to improve?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bayonet, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    Hey guys,i've been playing for 8 or 7 months now,at first i wasnt taking it seriously but i started really liking playing,and i picked up bass guitar for dummies a month ago,i already knew those things in the beginning of the book,so i jumped to part II.
    Now i've learned almost everything from there on,and i practice scales,and modes everyday.However i have a hard time playing songs,i can play a lot of nirvana,bad religion,and similar stuff,but my favorites are Metallica,Maiden and sabbath and i can't play Much from them.Anyone got tips on how to improve so i can play harder stuff?i feel like i have not got any better for months now. :help:

2. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Keep practicing :)

3. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    I practice the scales on the book and songs i know 1h and a half a day,and i try to learn new things for another half hour but i really think i'm not getting any better at all :/

4. May be time for knee to knee with an instructor. Beyond that yes, practice the more you practice the better you get.

One thing to look out for, is if you are practicing the wrong things, you get pretty good doing the wrong things.

If the teacher is not in the chords, what you are doing with Dummies will help. Ed's Building Walking Bass Lines and Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com will be of value.

Hang in, and good luck.

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I know, it's frustrating. But 8 months is a very short time. You will get there :)

I recommend studybass.com as another poster mentioned. Great free resource there.

But really, I can't recommend practice enough. As much as you can!

6. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    Studybass is indeed a great site!
    When i first bought my bass i went there,thats how i learned to read sheet music and to keep rythm. Oh well thanks guys,i guess i'll keep practicing and see where i can get :)
    Also,another question,how much time it usually takes to be able to play some 70s and 80s metal?

7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I really struggle with metal still, especially maiden and some early Metallica. I guess it takes different amounts of time for everyone.

I recommend also watching YouTube covers (good and bad) of the songs you want to play. Not only will it give you some awesome tips really subconsciously, it will also give you an idea of what doesn't sound good. Very helpful.

8. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    It takes awhile to build enough speed to play some songs from the bands you mentioned.

But you should be able to play some of the easier Sabbath songs. You may need to get a device or program that lets you slow down the tempo...even Windows media player might be able to do that. Learn small sections at a time, then put them together. Then gradually build up the speed.

If you don't know what notes to play...just look up the tab (or even better, buy one of the books). I suggest learning the songs by ear--then using tabs to help with the parts that you can't figure out.

9. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    2 things that have really helped:
    Turn on the radio and attempt to figure out the song before it goes off
    And if you have those music choice channels on your TV, I usually go through 4-5 different styles to one, improve my ear and two get me used to playing what I usually play.

Scales, modes etc. are great, but IMO, aren't really 'understood' until you put them to work..
    Good Luck..(the better you get the more you realize how little you know which makes you want to practice more)

10. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    When I learned, I put the radio on and tried to play along with every song that came on. But then, there were SONGS on the radio. But with you tube it's a great way to pick stuff up.

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Set short term goals. For example, pick two songs and dedicate yourself to learning them note-for-note perfect. Then move on to the next two. But don't move on until you can really play them as flawlessly as possible. That means learning them so that they are second nature.

My second piece of advice is to do the same thing, but with different styles of music. Bluegrass, Country, pop, classic rock, funk, blues, soul....listen to it all. Set up a practice routine that has you playing along with songs from all these music styles. You will severely limit yourself by only practicing metal.

12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    How about you, my friend? Did we ever find out what was wrong with you? Did you go to the doctor?

13. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    Well, what I did was I just sat down with it and took it apart section by section. I just kept practicing each part of the song independently, until I KNEW it. Then, I practiced playing it in the proper order, finding ways to transition to where I needed to be, remembering the order for it, all that good stuff. Just be patient with it, you can do it! *montage begins*

14. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    I guess i'll do that,break down a song in sections and learn everything and not give up.
    Thanks guys :)