Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to install a push/pull passive/active vol pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deepestend, Sep 29, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction here.

A few months ago, I bought a Moses/Warmoth Jazz bass from someone who put it together trying to make their own Vintage-J. I love my L-2000 but it was giving me some shoulder and back pains and I needed something lighter to switch things up. The bass came unsheilded with EMG's and an EMG pre in it. The pickups just didn't do it for me, so I ended up getting a pair of Bartolini Soapbars and a BTB system with Vol/Blend/Tone. This combination really works for me.

Now it's time for me to do some upgrading. I really like the active/passive switch on my L-2000 and really want to integrate this into my bass. A while ago, I ordered a push/pull pot to switch out with my current volume pot. Does anyone know exactly how I would do this? How I would do the wiring? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm going to go in and do the sheilding with adhesive copper foil too and coat the body with some wipe on poly if you have any advice there as well.

Thanks!

J-R

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    You should just copy the wiring in your other bass. Or, do it like this...

[​IMG]

Wire the volume just like it is now, but the center lead should go to the switch instead of the jack.

Good luck!

3. These guys have wiring diagrams for all your needs!

Push/Pull Pots

;) Treena

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Thank you both... and thanks so much for drawing a wiring diagram! I'm going to work on this in the next night or two when I have some time! I'll let you know how it goes.

J-R

5. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Uh oh... I'm finally getting around to doing this and the attachment was deleted... can anyone explain to me what I need to do here?

6. I second the request, it'd be much appreciated!!

7. Active/passive switch wiring looks like this:
    [​IMG]

You need to make sure that you have a 250K/500K volume pot(s) running before the input of the preamp in order to add an active/passive switch.
    If you have a 25K volume pot running after the output of the preamp, you will lose it in passive mode, unless you switch to a 250K/500K before the preamp, as trying to run the high impedance signal from the pickups through such a low value pot will divert most of the signal to ground.

8. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Old thread here... I ended up just doing an active/passive switch instead of a push/pull pot. I found it easier to do.