1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to install a string tree(searched)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reel big bassist, Oct 28, 2005.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    I just ordered a mighty mite neck for my fender mexi jazz because my truss rod has been stripped for sometime.

Now when i look at the neck, it has holes to put the tuners in but none for the string tree. When I look at my bass there is a hole for the tree. So how do I install it?
    -Greg P

2. To install AFTER neck is installed and tuners installed: string bass up. slacken D & G strings so they're looser, yet still run straight. Take string tree and place evenly between these two strings, in the vicinity just slightly forward of the A string tuning post. It's not totally crucial, you're just creating downforce on the nut. Press down on string tree with screw in it to make a mark with the screw's end for a dill location.

Now grab the appropriate size drill (dia. of drill matches dia of screw inner shaft, not thread dia.) & drill as straight as possible at your mark into the headstock (make a depth stop with tape, taped to the drill bit so you don't drill too far) . Now screw in the tree and tune to pitch.

you're done.

Icculus and LowEndConfusion like this.