Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to install a string tree(searched)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reel big bassist, Oct 28, 2005.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    I just ordered a mighty mite neck for my fender mexi jazz because my truss rod has been stripped for sometime.

Now when i look at the neck, it has holes to put the tuners in but none for the string tree. When I look at my bass there is a hole for the tree. So how do I install it?
    -Greg P

2. To install AFTER neck is installed and tuners installed: string bass up. slacken D & G strings so they're looser, yet still run straight. Take string tree and place evenly between these two strings, in the vicinity just slightly forward of the A string tuning post. It's not totally crucial, you're just creating downforce on the nut. Press down on string tree with screw in it to make a mark with the screw's end for a dill location.

Now grab the appropriate size drill (dia. of drill matches dia of screw inner shaft, not thread dia.) & drill as straight as possible at your mark into the headstock (make a depth stop with tape, taped to the drill bit so you don't drill too far) . Now screw in the tree and tune to pitch.

you're done.

Icculus and LowEndConfusion like this.