Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to install active pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Ok - I've checked out various pickup manufacturers and used the search function here but haven't found an exact answer to my question...

Can anybody give me (or point me in the right direction of) a diagram showing how to wire a passive tone circuit (Vol/Vol/Tone) to active pickups? I'm comfortable w/ my soldering skills, but not my electronics skills :) I need a detailed diagram if possible! Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    On the emgpickups website, there are wiring diagrams like this one:

http://emgpickups.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/PJ_models.pdf

Take a look at that, there's no fundamental difference between active/passive wiring - although obviously pot K values differ and there's a battery in the mix

let me know if you have any questions

3. I'm assuming that I can use standard 500k pots and a .047mf cap for my purposes?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the exact value should be that specified by your pickup manufacturer - you don't say what they are.
    SD recommend 100K vol pots, EMG recommend 25K pots. Cap value is fine.

5. Great! It's actually the stock VFL active pickups that came with my Fury V. I'm just taking the active tone circuit out and putting in a passive one. The 500K value came straight from Peavey, so it looks like I'm good :)