1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Justify Trading Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Mar 3, 2008.

1. I came to the sad realization that a jazz bass tone isn't really what I want. Maybe its just the GAS for a P or a G&L L2K tribby hitting me real hard or something but man this sucks...

So I thought.. go to my local music shop and see if can trade my J bass in for a P or maybe a bruised L2K..only problem is... I wouldn't know how to justify it to my parents. Anyone got any ideas?

:help::help::help:

Thanks in advance

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    You will lose on a trade in, most likely. I have an L-2000,a P-bass and a few jazzes. I say get used to the jazz. Get a tech to put on a series/parallel switch and your jazz will end up with more volume, a thicker sound with more punch and a similar sound to a P-bass. This is probably a $50.00 adjustment.

3. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    If it's justification to your folks you need, the best angle to try is that you simply cannot play the Jazz Bass as you want. Music is highly subjective and performance even more so. If you really want a different instrument, get a few hundred saved before broaching the subject. Also choose the exact model you want ot get before mentioning anything. A bit of demonstrated responsibility goes a long way with parents.

That said, you really ought to hold onto the J-Bass. You'll likely regret parting with it after a few years.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    One night at dinner calmly mention that you want to change something that's very important. That the more you think about this "change," the more confused you are about who you really are...deep down. That something just doesn't feel right, and it won't until you figure out a way to replace this "appendage" that's been holding you back.

Then get up from the table and sashay up to your room without explaining anything further. If in the next couple of days one of your parents tries to ask you what you were talking about, get all moody and run away crying.

When you finally tell them you were only talking about replacing your bass, they'll be relieved...unless they wanted a daughter.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good advice there!

:)

Seriously though, you will lose a lot of dollar-value on the trade-in. Say your bass cost your parents $500. You'll get $200 in trade-in value. Try explaining that to your parents! :) Keep the J until you have saved up some of your own money from odd jobs or whatever, and you don't need to justify your use of it to your parents.

6. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    i've got a mim midnight wine p that i'd trade you, if it's the midnight wine j that you're wanting to do away with. if your parents are anything like mine, they won't have a clue that it's a different bass.

7. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i'd trade it here on TB...

8. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    +1 on trading it on here, as the guy said your parents probably won't notice the difference, my mom has been cleaning around a ric 4003 in the spare room for the past 3 months and not even noticed it was new, god help me if she knew how much i paid for it though!

9. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    trying to justify trading or getting new gear to a non musician...or even to some musicians...is like trying to explain color to a blind man. They will never understand..:scowl:

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My philosophy for the last 20 years...

NEVER trade a used bass for a new one. ONLY trade a used bass for another used bass.

This will prevent you from trading in a bass you paid $1000 for.... for a new $1000 bass
    plus $400-500 cash. Don't lose a fortune on something just becase it is new.

Just my $0.02, but this has allowed my to own 20+ different basses in the last year without losing much more than $100 on any of them and I made $$$ on more than a few.

11. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I think danomar is exactly right.
    I may be setting myself for a major flaming, but you need to either get used to the Jazz Bass or be up front with your parents. I get the impression that they played a big role in you having that bass or you probably wouldn't be as concerned about their reaction if you sold or traded it. If you have a solid relationship with your parents and they support your musical interests, don't risk ruining it because of a bass guitar. If you went ahead and did something with it behind their backs, you'll be setting up a situation where, if they did find out that you got rid of the bass without telling them, they're going to feel like you have trust issues with them.
    It'd be a lot smarter to save up some money towards the bass you want next, then when you've got enough to trade in the Jazz Bass and pay the difference (it's unlikely that you'll get an even trade for a better bass), sit down with your parents and explain that you'd like to move up to a better bass and you've saved up the money to make up the difference. Show them that you've thought it through, made a plan and made the effort to save up for it. Showing them that you've handled it maturely and that you want them to know what you're doing is going to pay off a lot more than if you did something without them knowing and they disapproved after the fact. Instead of risking harming your relationship with them, you're doing something to strengthen it and getting a new bass in the process.
    Just my $0.02...

12. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    I would be a shame if you accidently left your bass leaning against your car and you ran over it backing out. Better yet, you left it accidently under the rear wheel of your parent's car.

Seriously, be upfront with your parents. Your relationship with them is worth more than any bass.

13. agreed with the be upfront with your parents approch...

music stores will give you diddly squat for a trade in...and then you will be po'ed when you go back in the next week and see what they have it listed for....:crying:
    Best is to sell it locally or on ebay, or find someone to trade you even, or even if you had to pay a couple of bucks more...

But make sure that the jazz doesnt work for you and you are not falling into the "if only I had that bass, my playing would improve" trap.
    A jazz bass can fit into many more places than a P can....
    but it is nice to have both....:bassist:

good luck

ed

14. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Lots of great bass players play/played a J-bass, and they *are* a very versatile instrument. What you're experiencing is just GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), which is a very expensive disease to treat, it's a bit like a heroin addiction - you'll never be cured by medication (i.e. buying more gear), it will always leave you wanting more. The only real sure cure may be painful - being happy with what you have.

Study your desire - why do you want a P bass? Looks? Sound? Feel of the neck? If it is feel, I'd say just hang in there, you're reasonably early in your career, and you may well learn to love the feel of the Jazz neck - look at Geddy Lee, Joe Osborn, Marcus Miller, and many, many others. If it is sound - well, a J can pretty reasonably fake a P bass sound, just by silencing the bridge pickup. And anyway, both a P and a J have great sounds, you may learn to love the distinctive J sounds. Or maybe you're just bored with your sound, and you need to ask for a wah or flanger pedal or a new amp for your next birthday. Or try different strings. If it is looks, you could try personalizing your J bass - stickers, a new pickguard, maybe some different knobs.

However, if it involves spending money *at all* you will not be curing GAS, you will be feeding it!! Trust me, I know...

:)

I lived with the same Peavey Patriot between 1985 and 2000, and played everything on it - metal, country, jazz, rock, and blues, and never once felt I was being hindered in any way by my instrument. Then I took a break for a few years and had kids - in 2007, I started getting back into music, and since 2000, my income had increased dramatically, and I knew GAS for the first time in my life, and have been fighting it unsuccessfully since. I still have the Peavey, will never sell it, but I also never play it - my main bass now is a... well, a P bass to tell the truth. :) But I also have a Jazz that I like a lot.

I guess the moral of my story is supposed to be one of the following, not sure which:
    1 - unless you're personally paying for it, you should work hard at being happy with what you have, and gratefully take what you can get. Someone worked hard to get you what you currently have, whether it was you, or one or both of your parents. That work, thought, care and effort should not be wasted or treated lightly, it can't be repaid or retrieved, unlike the money that was spent.
    2 - when you have an established career and are making money (either playing music FT or in a day job type of career), you can get as much GAS as your paycheck can handle, and do with it whatever you like.

Sorry to sound like such a parent - I see myself as the same 15 year old who got that Peavey Patriot, just with lots of lessons learned, so don't take these as words of a parent, but just the words of a fellow bass player who knows how you feel.

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I agree with a lot of what has been said already, but I think one point deserves emphasis.

If you want to trade your bass, don't trade it in at the store. Put it up for trade on the TB classifieds, and trade it for a used bass which fits your needs (plus or minus cash). If you trade it in at a store, you will not get much value for your Jazz. They have to make money off it, so they will have to offer you much less than you can get for it if you sell or trade it here.

16. +1

Hang on to the Jazz. You will lose a bunch-o-bucks with a trade, and you'll want the Jazz back at some point in your future. There are a number of simple changes you can make to modify the tone of you current Jazz: install the series/parallel switch mentioned earlier, try a different brand/type of strings, swap out the pups, etc. all are better alternatives to losing money on a trade. (Also, spend a little time reading the number of posts from experienced players that say you need both a Jazz and P bass before you dump the Jazz.)

Do you really want to impress your parents and justify the addition of a P bass? Get a part time job, earn the money (or a major part of it) on your own, then and only then, go look for a good used P bass. Better yet, :hyper: form a band and start gigging to earn the money, that would really justify the second bass. :bassist:

P.S. Yes, I'm a parent now, but I went through what you're going through when I was your age.:meh:

17. I've been trying to get a job..and well I basicly have one. My mom works at the elementary school and i help out the head janitor alot so it was an obvious decision for to ask her if i could work there. She said sure thing..so i filled out the applications and stuff and i already worked one day then it turns out there was a mess up w/ the paperwork so i had to fill it all out again...then i had to do it for a THIRD time yesterday....im hoping there is no messes ups there... I've been planning on getting this job and buying a new bass...although my parents wont like that either...some how they cant see the point in owning more then one bass..crazy parents...

thanks for all the advice and ill look into maybe trading it here on TB or maybe just moding it

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

If all that's bothering you is the tone, then I highly recommend that you hang onto the J-bass. Taking a financial hit just to change tones is not a good idea if you don't have money to spend.

If you didn't like the neck profile or string spacing, then I would tell you to switch. But IMHO bass tone is not important, especially when the tone under discussion happens to be the most widely accepted electric bass tone in all of music. Practice your ass off, and when you get the money, buy a second bass and hang onto the J-bass.

19. eboe

eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    of course, some of us just don't like Jazz Basses. I'll take a P anyday. ANYDAY. I am afraid I don't get the obsession over J basses, and all the boutique versions of them out there. I think I will start a thread about this, as a matter of fact.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I understand! I'm a P-bass guy myself. But if I didn't have the money to trade my J for a P, I would just stick with the J until I could afford to switch. I can't believe that anyone else would care whether I played a P or a J.

Besides, I wish I had a dollar for each time I decided I didn't like a bass, and then wanted it back after I traded it.