Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to keep a Hipshot Xtender in tune?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lildrgn, Aug 7, 2001.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey everyone,

Like the topic says, how do I keep my Hipshot Xtender in tune? I just put one on last week and, though it works, and I try to tune it the way the instructions and Mike Lull told me, it just won't stay in tune. For those that don't know, you tune the E string, flip the switch (drop D), flip it back to E and check your tuning. You do that until it's in tune, then you drop to D and check that tuning. Unfortunately you have to go back to E and then twiddle the knob to tune the D. It's a bit confusing and a PITA, but what can I do?

Anyway, does anyone have a better method for tuning the Hipshot?

Thanks!

Gwon
    ps: check out my band: www.mp3.com/ethyl

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can turn the screw when you're down to D, it's harder but you can do it.

Check the nut slot for the E string. It probably has too much friction and causes the string to go out of tune.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Before I went to 6 string, I used to use an Xtender a lot on my Ken Smith 4. I always found that giving the string a *gentle* tug after either dropping it down or pulling it back up helped with the tuning issues.

That's assuming that it was already as well adjusted as I could get it to begin with, of course.