Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to keep bass in tune

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 29, 2004.

1. what things can i put on my bass to make it stay in tune better

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    What do you own? I'd say good quality tuners would be a good place to start. Then, a good bridge where the saddles are less likely to move around. Keep in mind the prices for these items, and then decide if it's worth it to you.

:bassist:

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    A Graphite nut will make a lot of difference too.....

4. A proper Setup, with a new set of strings will be a good place to start.

I am curious, what kind of bass do you have? I see you post a lot about Fenders on the other fourms, are you having problems with a Fender of some sort?

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. i do have a fender it is a fender jazz fretless and the sound is great, i love the tone. i just want a fretted neck instead because i have to pay attention onj were my fingers are at all time or i will sound out of tune. i dont have a big problem with going out of tune, i think on eof the reasons it does go out of tune though is that i have taken the strings on and off about 23 times.

6. I'm a big fan of the act of putting new strings on after taking a set off. The strings weeken more and more as you put them on and take them off, especially where they go into the tuners. Also, if you have new strings, they'll tend to stretch, so manually stretching them may help this out too. Once they are stretched a few times, they should stay in tune better. :)

7. I think a new set of strings will solve your problem. You should at least try that before you consider modifying the bass. Make sure when you put strings on that you don't have too many windings on the post. I try to keep it at 3 windings myself.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, I'm picking up mixed messages here. If finger position relative to "tuning" on the fretless is a problem, I'd recommend fret lines or some little LED's where the fret lines would be. If it's the strings themselves, they tend to get more stable over time, they "settle in" eventually. Usually they'll go massively out of tune for the first three days or so, and then get better. By the end of the first week the tuning should be pretty stable. And finally, if it's the tuners that are giving you problems, you can get good replacement tuners from many different manufacturers. The Fender tuners are so-so in my experience, the worm screws sometimes "back out" of their positions a little, so if you tune up to A you might lose or gain a few cents after playing for a couple of minutes. If you measure "how many" cents you're gaining or losing with a good tuner, you can tune around it. If the deviation changes all the time, replace the tuners.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Some careful editing will probably improve your chances for a helpful response.

I think that you are describing a problem with your intonation on your fretless. ?

If that is the problem, there isn't much that you can do to the bass since that is a technique/skill level problem.

Lines on the fingerboard may help until your ear develops further but they aren't a cure all. its hard to be precise when you note the string by looking at the lines.

Sounds crazy but practice in a dark room. It will do wonders for your intonation. Speed is your enemy as your ear develops. Go slow and concentrate on accuracy.

Hope this helps.

PS- please fill out your profile so we know who we are talking to. Tnx.

Harrell S

10. After reading these two posts, the answer to the original question is.....

FRETS! ;)

11. Restring it, Aim for 3 windings on the D&G strings, and 2 on the E&A strings. When you tune up, never go above the note, tehn down to it. always up to the note. This helps as it preloads the tuners' gearing properly.