1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to keep IEM's in Ear

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Nathan Ferguson, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I've just recently bought these iem's: LD Systems | MEI 1000 G2

They sound great. It's my first time after 11 years of playing & singing through foldback speakers in a band that has 5 part harmonies. Such a relief to be able to hear myself for once.

My question is I live in Queensland, Australia. The summers get quite hot and humid. <30 degrees and something like 90-100% humidity. On stage that just kills you.

I want to know if there is a way to keep my earphones from falling out of my ear when I get really sweaty on stage?

I'm performing at a whole bunch of gigs including 5 days at Woodford Folk Festival at the end of the year. So that's the one I mainly need it for.

Thanks in advance.

2. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Did you get ear molds made, and custom earbuds? If not, that's your problem. Out of the box buds don't fit anybody. See an audiologist. Worth the money!

mikewalker and s0c9 like this.
  3. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Right now we can't afford to go get custom earmolds done. Definitely gonna do it sometime in the near-future. The earbuds fit perfectly and stay for the first few songs. It's just when i start to sweat that a problems develops. Thanks for your reply though.

4. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I am not using custom molds. I ordered some of the foam tips that you squish and they expand and seal your ear canal. They work great.

So do my $57 KZ IEMs from Amazon. :thumbsup:

buldog5151bass likes this.
  5. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I was thinking of trying those comply foam tips. Has anyone heard of them and tried them out?

6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Yep! That’s what I use. I’ve done a few gigs with them and still haven’t changed them. Work great.

7. Triple flange tips work great for keeping iems in

8. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Do this,

I made these, I have AM 30s and they never fall out now, the sound has improved and better bass response.

Took me 10 minutes.

mikewalker and JRA like this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    There's all kinds of tips you can swap out your originals with.. Comply provides a variety of tip styles.. as do OTHER vendors (ALXCD, RIYO,...)
    Remember that there are different sizes, so you'll need to know what works for you now nd try out other vendors tips from there.
    Yes, the "rubber" tips tend to slip when you start to sweat, so the squishy comply tips might resolve that.

I tried EVERY tip I could find, to keep universal fit buds sealed in my ears.
    NONE worked, and a trip to an audiologist informed me that I had small ear canals and that universal tips would NEVER stay seated/sealed.
    I had no choice but to move to custom molds if I wanted to use IEM's.
    You might be in the same boat. Keep us posted. :)

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

mpm32 's suggestion is valid, and cheap for custom-fit IEM's. i made my own ($15 USD --- enough for two pair!). good luck! :thumbsup:

11. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I’ll give them all a try and see which one best suits me. At least I’ll do these suggestions till I go custom moulds.

12. Has anyone had any luck with something that hooks around behind your ear? Seems to me this would be the most reliable solution, but I haven't found anything like that on the market.

13. I just got a pair of Spinfit twin blade tips and so far they fit perfect. They are the only pair I could find that offer a size in between a standard large and medium ear tip with cp220 m2 tip this may have saved me from having to buy custom iems. Only downside is they are abit pricey at about $15 a pair. The next pair I'm going to test are the symbio mandarin hybrid tips they combine silicone and memory foam for a best of both worlds aproach.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  14. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Hey Paula,
    I’m sure I could sift threads to find this out, but can you get custom molds for any number of IEM’s? I’ve got sure SE535’s and am happy with the sound but better fit and better sound isolation would be nice. You may know where you can get molds to fit in Canada. Also, are they pliable enough to not break seal when singing? I have a pair of custom moulded earplugs from decades ago and they lose seal.
    Cheers.

15. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    How about a mark Knopfler style headband?

16. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I've had custom ones done from three or four sets of buds. I've always just googled audiologist. If they can't make them, I'm certain they will refer you to someone who can. In a pinch, an email to Musicians Injury Clinic in Stouffville will send you to the right guy.

el murdoque and craigie like this.
  17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Comply's work GREAT for the Fender/Aurisonics FXA6's here. The original Fender tips are silicone that did not seal with my ears. The Comply's get changed about once every 10 or so shows depending on climate(played outside, sweaty, hot = get changed more often).

18. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Westone Music - UM56 Custom Adapter

craigie likes this.
  19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    aside from exploring different earbud tips to find ones that do a better job of staying in, how about one of these?
    61KSzQnqmhL._SY450_.

seriously, a good directional blower fan like this can be placed ten feet away upstage behind you and still aim a nice blast of air right at you, and that can make all the difference in comfort and frankly performance energy. get one and you'll never want to do without it again.

JPaulGeddy, Ethereal Thorn and s0c9 like this.
  20. jdier

jdier

May 28, 2003
    Milw., Wis.
    I got a pair like this with my old in ear set up. I had custom made ones but tried these out and they worked pretty well. Mine where older, and they also came with foam tips which further improved fit.