Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to keep my SR4 clean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Nov 3, 2003.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I've just bought the Dunlop guitar polish and cleaner (Formula No. 65) to keep my MM Stingray's body in a good condition. Then I noticed at www.ernieball.com/faq_mmbass.php that a high-grade lemon oil and a good quality gunstock oil will do the work for the neck and the rosewood fretboard. Are there any Dunlop products that will do the neck/fretboard cleaning work (as described at EB website) or will I have to search my local store for lemon oil and gunstock oil?

/MrBaloo

2. The body can be cleaned with a wet rag and then whipped off. I like using cotton towels for this because they are soft and have high enough grain to get the caked on oils from playing.

As for the neck, you really have 2 options:

1) Apply lemon oil and gunstock oil, both of which are fairly easy to find.

or

2) Finish the neck with an oil/wax finish.

I prefer an unfinished neck so I continue to clean my maple neck, unfinished with either lemon or gunstock oils. I use the same rag to keep it clean and do this ussually once every 2-3 days. I would not recommend finishing the neck with excessive amounts of oils unless you feel you have to. My area has very little sudden shifts in relative humidity which is the main reason for finishing a neck IMO.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The Dunlop stuff works really well for rosewood boards.

4. Jacko, how often do you clean your rosewood boards?

I clean after use and each time I change my strings.

I'm curious though?

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    If you can't get lemon oil, orange oil has the same properties, but smells a lot nicer. Easiest place to find it is in stores that sell furniture restoration polishes etc.

6. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    I use the same cloth for a quick wipe over after use, and give my rosewood boards a good soaking when they look dry, porous and in need of nourishment, which is only a couple of times per year.

7. Thanks Mark! I was curious.

I've never had any problems with my Rosewood boards but, this topic seems to come up a lot here at TB.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, thanks. It didn't come to my mind that stores that are selling furniture may have this type of lemon or orange oil.
    By the way; gunstock oil is a lot more obvious to find. ;)

/MrBaloo

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Treena, I wipe 'em down if they look grungy, but as far as using the Dunlop cleaner and then the conditioner....well, I'm lazy and my boards don't seem to dry out even though I am in Texas.

So I'd say once or twice every 45 years or so.

You guys want to be careful using stuff made for furniture. Much of that junk has oils and waxes that you might want on your coffee table but not on your fingerboards.

10. Thank you!

I think to many bassist are worrying about oils and such, when it's not really called for.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, thanks. I have ended up with a guitar polish for the bass' body, a high-grade lemon oil for the neck and the fingerboard and a polishing cloth. I re-read the Ernie Ball FAQ and noticed that a very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the back of the neck maintained. Then I'll guess that a "very infrequent dose" may be like 45 years between the doses. ;)
    Now I have to figure out how to polish the hardware...

/MrBaloo

12. I would STONGLY recommend you not use polish on the body. A damp rag will suffice, and water will not damage the finish in those amounts. When you put polish on it will look good for a while, but what you put on stays on. You can get it shining WITHOUT any polish, and it's cheaper too.

13. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    The orange oil I use is natural with no additives. It's pretty much the same stuff that is used in aromatherapy burners and for adding orange fragrance to DIY skin products.