Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to keep the stewart from lying flush against cab.. not using rack by choice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 20, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Given that i am trying to minimize weight I wont be putting my stewart poweramp into a rack. I managed to fit it into my backpack and I will just place it in a thick cardboard box for protection for transport.

What i need to do is have about a 3cm gap b/n the bottom of the amp and whatever it rests on (most likely the cab) for breathability.

My idea is to use 4 "legs" that are thin-ish but about 3cm tall.

My question is what material should i use? The amp shuts off at 87 degrees celcius so the material should be able to stand that kind of heat without melting or being destroyed, catching fire etc. Plastic may melt. Would wood work? at what temperature would the wood start burning? Maybe some kind of rock (hopefully light) like a crystal or lava. But then they are hard to get the right shape.

Am I crazy? oh probably.. but hey, whatever it takes. :D

Suggestions?

2. Id say use some rubber feet. I doubt it'll get hot enough to do anything to rubber.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    really? I am not so sure. I was thinking small one inch square tiles glued onto wood or something.

4. Possibly, just suggested the rubber things because that what I had on my non racked equipment. Just wondering, how are you going to attach them? I think Id be most concerned whether or not they will stay stuck (melting the glue or w/e), instead of the actual foot melting or catching fire. I seriously doubt that a power amp can generate the heat to catch anything on fire, unless Stewarts produce a considerably higher amount of heat than the equipment Ive had.

But as far as the wood idea, I think if you could get some nice looking wood, it be a classy touch.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Attaching them is the tricky part. I am pretty sure this unit isnt intended to have feet put on it. There are no screws in the correct spots. Even if there were, I dont think I would want to mess with them as they are probably holding components together and are not meant to be "jimmied".

Therefore, I was thinking i would just use the width of the feet to hold each corner up. They wouldnt be attached, but would use the weight of the amp to keep them in place.

I just thought of an idea. Get four shot glasses (ie for booze) turn them upside down, one in each corner. Place the amp on top. Done!

6. Oh ok, then yeah man, let your imagination run wild. I don't think you need to worry about anything melting unless you use a few sticks f butter....

Heh, shot glasses would look kinda cool too, tho not as much as a couple sticks of butter, then you can have some melted butter for your bread. But then that wouldnt do any good to hold your amp up. Ah well.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How about making some rubber feet attached to some sort of metal lengths or even blocks of wood.

Like:

_________ <-Sheet of metal/block of wood.
    ....[ ] <- rubber feet.

You could then just place these under the amp. Therefore nothing permanent or damaging. It may also help to put some cloth or sticker rubber on top of the metal/wood to stop scratches and help stability.

In fact.. Couldn't you just use four small blocks of wood and place them under the amp before you put it down?

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for your suggestions!

This idea:
    _________ <-Sheet of metal/block of wood.
    ....[ ] <- rubber feet.

wont fly because:

1) the air vents would be blocked
    2) that amount of sheet metal would be heavy, or i mean the weight would be more than I want. Whatever I do has to be ultralite because I have to schlep everything onto the bus.

Thanks though! :smug:

However, your suggestion did give me another idea. i could get some lightweight plastic that would be about 19x15 inches (the dimensions of the poweramp) and attach little wooden feet to it. So it would sort of be like a flimsy table. Then I would flip it upside down and place the amp on the feet. This would save me time and effort because, as the feet are permanently connected to the "plastic table" they would always be in the same place and would be a more secure place to put the poweramp onto.

Another idea (that is similar to your four blocks of wood) is to use dense foam that is 8cm long, 3cm tall and 2cm wide. Simply glue some thin strips of wood onto the foam to prevent the foam from melting/burning (more of a precaution to prevent this) from the heat of the poweramp. These foam/wood strips would be light and easy to place as i would only need two; one for the front and one for the rear. The foam would also help to minimize vibration to the amp when place on the top of the cab.

9. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    easy solution... make a mini "table" for the amp and attach it (amp to tabletop) with adhesive velcro.. you could even cut vents in the "tabletop" if you like...

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think the velcro attached to the amp would be put in harms way from the heat of the poweramp. Maybe not though..

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, it's not like the poweramp is going to get that hot. At least it shouldn't...

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hopefully not. I am also concerned about the heat causing whatever glue that is present to release toxins in the air.

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, well i've never had an amp that got so hot it would melt glue (Not even my Trace would, when the fans are working).

Another idea, though harder to make. Maybe like a sort of frame made of aluminium or similar that can go around the edges of the amp and have feet in the corner. You may need one strip across the center though, but it would be light.

If you made the edges like L shape all the way around, you could perhaps sit the amp in there as well.

Then again, I don't know how good you are with your hands (You could get one made eaily though)..

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, i could pull that off.

This amp has cooling "fins" on both sides so that may pose a problem with your suggestion. Also, just to clarify, this stewart is the kind that has no fan and cools by convection, in case I hadnt made that known.

i like the aluminum idea though.

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse &amp; use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks &amp; Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I have my world 1.2 in a 4 space "padded Rack case'. even with the preamp mounted in there too, theres still enough room to stuff a small fan inside the case for travel. the 1.2 gets hot as balls running at 4 ohms & mine has shut down on me a few times... until i got the little $10 fan which i clip to the outside of the rack blowing onto the back of the amp. and its light enough to carry with a shoulder strap. Its similar to this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/804698/

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    87 deg C is really not that hot. A good approach might be four blocks of acoustic isolation foam, as used on the Auralex GRAMMA, which both ventilate the amp and protect it from damaging vibrations. Don't worry, nothing is going to melt or burn.

Alex

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for your suggestions / comments! I am definitely going to get a little portable fan. I dont want the sucker shutting down during a gig!

How long does it take for the amp to "reset"?

So its best blow the air from the fan towards the back of the amp?

I think I am going to go the dense foam route with thin strips of wood on top as I posted earlier. Its light, compact, wont rattle around in my backpack like shot glasses (heehee) and, with the wood, shouldn't give off toxins into the air.

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Try some isolation feet, an example is:

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/footers.htm

To get your extra clearence stick some bits of balsawood or mdf on them and simply rest the amp on top of them if you're really that worried about melting glue (very unlikely), otherwise just stick them on with glue.

If you have space to mount a fan on the back plate of the amp the best way is to have the fan drawing air out of the amp. Obviously you need to be willing to add a hole for this but it will keep it nice and cool. Getting much benefit from a fan without mounting it internally is hard (speaking as an avid computer modder). Post some pictures of the head so I can see what kind of vents it has and where they are placed, then I might be able to offer some other solutions.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I cant see the amp getting so hot to require feet on it. My old ampeg gets so hot that I cant touch the front panel for more then a second but nothing is melting. You mentioned not putting it in a rack to minimize weight... my 2 space skb weighs about the same as my backpack. Seriously its only like 3 lbs and it would be a lot easier then what you are thinking of. Center it in the rack and it will have space on all sides for cooling. I assume you are talking about one of the single space Stewarts.