1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to keep up with halfstacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexanna, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Alexanna

Alexanna Commercial User

Dec 3, 2020
    Hey im pretry new when it comes to the actaul amplification of bass gutairs but, the gutair players im jamming with just upgraded to Marshall half stacks. What should i get so i can still be heard. I was thinking i should get the ampeg microstack, but i dont know how powetfull they are or how good its gonna sound

2. Earplugs.
    A lot more than a mini Ampeg rig.

Ed Byrnes, lazycat93, pcake and 28 others like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Microstack might not cut it.

You'd be much better off with any 500 watt mini head (I think this is great deal TC Electronic Thrust BQ500 500-Watt Compact Bass Head ) and then adding 2X15s. Or 2X12s. Or one of either if money is tight, and then you can add another in the future.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Mvilmany, MarMar, Aqualung60 and 2 others like this.
  4. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Gold Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    Unless your guitarists, hopefully only two, are disciplined enough to keep the levels down(good luck with that), you are going to need some serious heavy metal to be heard if your not going through a PA. I've played though Marshall's :woot: and next to Marshalls :(.

5. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    What's your budget?

Ed Byrnes and CallMeAl like this.
  6. HalfstackS? A 4x10 and a good head with at least 300w

Seanto, lokikallas, Rich67 and 12 others like this.
  7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I don't envy you.
    The answer to your question about what to get is "a lot".

ceesaar00, wildman2, Oddly and 5 others like this.
  8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Rule I was taught for playing with drums, 300 tube 500 ss.
    I like 800 in a D but gigged w a 300 watt tube

drumvsbass likes this.
  9. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I played in a heavy group where both guitarists used 25W tube amps through 4x12 cabs, and it took me using most of my 800W @ 4 ohms through an 810 to keep up, but it was so loud, nobody could hear anything. It was awful.

Many won't want to hear this, but the best practice setup is amp modelers through IEM and an electronic drumset.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Whole stack.

11. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    You'll want minimum 300 watts into an 8x10 or 500 watts (or more) into an efficient 2x12, 2x15, or 4x10.

And earplugs.

12. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    500 watts min. with a good 4-10.

13. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    500w and 4x10s would be a good start. 2x210 stacked vertically, or a 410 on milk crates helps get the speakers up to your ears. EQ- Cut your bass, bump up your mids.

a budget will help us be more specific

eriky4003 and DrThumpenstein like this.
  14. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Ooof! If they play loud? 8-10's.

15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Do you have any amp, speaker or combo amp now?

About the earplugs, get some good ones that can reduce noise by 30 dB or more....

16. All you need is a small pair of side cutters; one little snip, problem solved.

Edit: I see, two guitarists. One little snip here, and another little slip there.

17. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    800 watts. 2 15inch speaker cabs. Place directly behind guitarist. Volume max.

Tell him you will turn down when he does.

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    GK 2001RB on top a GK412 NEO outa do the trick. Make them cry like babies.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Long before IEMs were even a gleam in their inventor's eyes, I rehearsed for a while in the bandleader/drummer's kitchen. Guitarist and I each used little 10W 8" practice amps, the drummer played a snare with a towel over it and a hi-hat with brushes and the fiddler played unamplified but kept his volume down to match us. I loved it.

20. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Get a DNS-410 cab by DNA (street price of $1,049)and a DNA-800 amp (street price of $799) and you will no longer have any fear of Marshall single or double stacks. And just to be clear, I am a DNA endorsing Artist.

I have a DNS-410 and also a DNS-210 along with an Eden WT500/800. The "/800" on my Eden amp is because it was upgraded from 500-watts bridged to 800-watts bridged. I run it bridged into my DNS-410 (handles 1400-watts rms) for outdoor venues and festivals, or I will run it bridged into my DNS-210 (handles 700-watts rms) for all indoor venues. I get told to turn down running my 800-watt amp into my DNS-410 at outdoor festivals if I sneak my master volume more than a tiny bit past 10 o'clock. If I sneak it up to 10:30, I'm always told to turn down immediately.

Also, if you're running a passive bass, give your low mids at ~250 Hz a tiny boost. Boost it too much and it will honk at you, but a little boost in the low mids anywhere between 250Hz and 500Hz gives you nice definition and presence in a group. If you have a 1350-watt amp like the DNA-1350, you can drive that DNS-410 to its max SPL of 137db. But an 800-watt amp will drive it to 134db. Don't stand anywhere near it if you do that though because that is not only beyond the threshold of pain, it is instantaneous hearing damage. But...I have no fear of Marshall double stacks and I don't need to lug around an 810.

Here's a picture of my setup at the first gig I used my DNS-210. I wasn't sure if it would be enough so I stacked it on top of my 410 because I knew I could unhook it in seconds and plug in the 410 that I did know was enough. Come to find out the 210 by itself was more than enough and I had to move my stack farther stage left and further upstage to get out of the 60° dispersion cone from those speakers because it was painful to stand in front of it. That night my DNS-410 just ended up being an expensive amp stand.

JDSlicksRig_600x870.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021