1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Keep Value with Bass Investment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebannist, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ebannist

ebannist

Jan 15, 2012
    USA

2. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    You never know what might happen. If you had been wanting a Les Paul Std and waited till 1961 you lost in the neighborhood of $200,000.00.

If you waited till 1970 to buy your Martin it's cost you maybe $20,000.00

Buy instruments to play and you will seldom be disappointed.

3. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Instruments are generally a bad investment. Figure time value of money and you may not make as much as you initially thought you would. But then again, if the economy is good in another 10-20 years and it is a desirable bass, you may not do too bad.

I guess the age old question is, "Do you feel lucky?"

Any interest is mentioning what specific model you have?

4. ebannist

ebannist

Jan 15, 2012
    USA

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This

And definitely don't have anyone sign it. Most people don't want that.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Instruments are a bad investment.

7. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    I meqn if it has a backplate get a replacement then sign that so its not always there

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Do not have it signed. Sell it now. Invest the proceeds from the sale in a mutual fund, a few shares of stock of three or four large companies, and re-invest all dividends.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

<peeks at ebannist's profile>

Ok...you're welcome. ;)

10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

That 'era' is gone and there are soooooo many instruments being manufactured today that it seems nearly impossible for something to go up in value, unless you snagged it for stupid-low price.

I say play the thing and enjoy it.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It'd be crazy not to open the box. You'd be in for a rude awakening if something were amiss.

Holding that bass as new for 10-20 years is a poor investment. It "may" be a rare color, but that won't count for much. It's still a 2013 Fender. If you want to see how prices hold up over time, look at basses from 2003 and 1993. You'll find that despite 10 and 20 years passing, rare color Fenders from that era are still worth less than the original MSRP.

12. antonspon

antonspon

Mar 27, 2013
    Invest in gold or shares.
    Play instruments.

13. Reviresco

Reviresco It’s all success if it’s what you need. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    I agree. If you got a good deal on it, now is the time to capitalize on it. Who's to say that with in the next 10-20 years Fender doesn't start mass producing basses in the rare color you got with this bass. I'm sure it's a great piece. I say, sell now or play it and enjoy it for a while. Either way, open it up and check it over. Always a good idea.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am puzzled by this. For some reason people think that if they have a nice bass that appreciates in value, that makes it a "good investment." That is not an investment IMHO, good or bad. It is simply the appreciation of a single rather limited asset.

IMHO, "a good investment" is something with the right mix of reward and risk that will allow you to reap very significant returns. This kind of investment generally requires many years and a lot of discipline.

Several thousand dollars appreciation of an asset (like a few old basses) is nice, but it is not investment, IMHO. Investment is something that with time and effort will repay you with an actual livelihood or something close to it. Think: a small business, an education, $15,000 each year invested in diverse securities for 30 years, an apprenticeship in a trade, etc., IMHO, those are investments.

Sell the bass and fully fund your IRA. I'd put the money in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index. Continue doing that until you retire. That is investment. :eyebrow:

15. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    The Fender Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton basses are only offered in sunburst or black. So, basically a jazz bass with a black finish is what you think will be an amazing 20-year investment? Try again sir...

16. ebannist

ebannist

Jan 15, 2012
    USA

17. ebannist

ebannist

Jan 15, 2012
    USA
    Cats out the bag! It's a VERY RARE RH Sunburst bass,
    Can't find these basses anywhere ;-)

Thanks Extreme!

Oh that reminds me, I need to update my collection list, so that it's a credible source for determining ALL the basses I own. Don't want anyone making assumptions. ;-)

18. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I Adore Reading Posts Like Yours. :) I, too, had a look at Your Profile Before Responding.

In one of the First Series of "The Twilight Zone" these Five Guys Rob a Train that was Carrying Hundreds of Bars of Gold. Then they Locked themselves into A Type of Time Machine that was Hidden out in the Desert, went to Sleep...and Woke Up in the Future. (Let's just say 20 Years).

When they Awoke Greed Set in and One guy Tried to Steal the Truck Holding the Gold. He died. The Others began Carrying his Share and, one by one, each of them died.

As the last man lay on a desert highway, uttering his last breath and offering Bars of Gold to Innocent Passersby in a JetsonMobile in Exchange for Water and a Ride to the Nearest Town, they found the offer odd and amusing; Gold was no longer worth ANYTHING....it was a thing of the past.

Bottom Line....Live and Love in the Moment.....It Could Very Well be Your Last..or there could be TWO Termites in that Unopened Box....a Male and a Female....Get my Drift?.. :)

19. ebannist

ebannist

Jan 15, 2012
    USA

20. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    If it doesn't mail you a quarterly statement it's not an investment. Play it and enjoy it or sell it and buy shares of a fund.