1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to keep your spare sets fresh...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BrokeDownSouth, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Most manufacturers are using sealed packages for their strings, which keeps them fresh indefinitely, but some still just put them in paper envelopes. I have pulled out a spare at after it sat in my case for no telling how long, only to find them corroded. I've got several spare sets and was thinking about storing them in the freezer. Was wondering if there were any better ideas?

Attached Files:

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Interesting, id like RK know if anyone knows how to go about this as well. Maybe the fridge world be better than the freezer. Or maybe a cigar box with a humidor??

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I doubt freezer or fridge would make a difference.....cold does not inhibit corrosion .....

Dryness would help....

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I put mine in sealed plastic bags with those desi-pak absorption thingies.

5. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    +1

6. Yeah I thought about using those, can you get new ones? I wonder what the shelf life is if you reuse them from some other package they came in?

7. I was thinking if it was a frost free freezer it would have some kind of dehumidifier in it.

8. switch to stainless steel strings :bag:

9. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    The only brand I've used that seals their strings is Daddario.

Off the top of my head: Rotosound, Dean Markley, DR, Labella, Fodera, and SIT do not.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If you're keeping spare sets long enough for them to corrode, you either need to change strings more often or quit worrying about spares.

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

Very good point Floyd. I was thinking that myself but didn't think to articulate it.

12. As usual, I was doing it wrong. :(

13. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The strings being coiled or their being stored that way at all compromises the string's structure.

14. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Dessicant packs can be re-juvenated by leaving them in the sun on a dry day, or in the oven on low for a while.
    They can be bought from most major sporting goods stores if you want new ones- some are 're-chargeable'.
    If you're getting corrosion in your case, it's likely due to large temp differences causing condensation- not only on the spare strings.
    A 're-chargeable' pack will help protect everything in the case.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Actually Foderas come in individually sealed ziplock style bags.

16. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Ernie Ball has taken to using sealed mylar pouches fwiw . . . .

17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Dean Markley now seals their strings in black plastic baggies but have ditched the paper envelopes at the same time.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the paper envelopes are treated with an anti corrosion protection. Even though there may not be a "seal" the shelf life is greatly expanded. If you are in a humid environment when put your strings in a plastic bag and remove the air before sealing with either a ziplok or tape.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    Zip lock bag inside my tool box. Usually 2-3 sets at all times as well as or older set in case I break one. A few of those desiccant baggies in there as well. Seem to work pretty well.

19. You can buy small dessicant packs in metal cases that are used for handgun storage. Baking them in the oven renews them when they are full...and they change color to let you know they're full. Tuck one of those into a plastic zip lock bag along with the strings and you would be in good shape. You can buy the dessicant packs online, I'm sure.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I thought I was the only one who did this. :D
    Been doing it for years, it works.