Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to kill the Clank

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    So I just changed changed strings on my Warrior 5 string standard, I am using a light gauge long scale, now I get this clanking sound on the B string when I play the E string, or play the B string, I repl them with the same size but a diff maker.. ELIXER (FOR THE FIRST TIME) I would not guess it to be a trust rod adj since its only one string, I have tried to raise the saddle for the B string and it stills goes CLANK. I put a peice of paper under the B string between the string and the slot in the nut since the sound is comming from that area, it helped a bit, but that clank sound is very .....:mad:

The kind of strings are Elixer, is it possible that the thin coating on these strings make the strings closer to the fret board then strings of another brand without this coating:confused:

ANY HELP??

2. No, they aren't any closer. How could they be? The bottom of the slot is the bottom of the slot.

Your original approach was right - you should have noticed that since the paper improved the problem, so going further may have finished the job. If you have changed gauges, then your B slot is too large for the string. Building up the sides of the slot with CA glue is a good method of closing in the sides.