how to learn fingerboard

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cjazz50, May 2, 2001.

1. I've been playing bass for about 4 years now and I think my biggest problem is that I still don't really know where all the notes are. Can anyone give me tips on how to memorize the locations of notes on the fingerboard?
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Work your scales!

One string scales, two string, three string
    One finger, all finger
    scales in thirds/forths/fifths...
    Watch a mirror not your hands
    Try to envision the neck as you play it
    Stuff like that
  3. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    *cough* *cough*
    Learn how to read music.
    *cough* *cough*
  4. I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. Bass is not my main instrument. My main axe is saxophone. I've been playing sax for about 10 years, jazz for about 5. I'm a pretty good reader/improviser. I've been playing bass off and on for about 4 years. I am starting to get more serious about it and I want to learn how to play it.
  5. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    A little exercise that I do for this is to pick a note and play it everywhere it is on the fretboard.

For example:

F on the E string, 1st fret
    F on the D string, 3rd fret

F on the A string, 8th fret
    F on the G string, 10th fret

F on the E string, 13th fret
    F on the D string, 15th fret

F on the A string, 19th fret

Then reverse on the way down.

I wrote this from memory, so sorry if I referenced the wrong fret for anything.

And I use a metronome when I do this.
  6. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    There is this nice little program... - great interface, really easy and helpful. You can also use it to learn the notes while you are at the office(like I have done-sometime). I can be used for ear training also.

I you are the type of guy that practices regulary you find this little aplication very useful.

The lite version is completely free and still helpful!
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Studying with a good teacher that uses a fingering method in conjunction with reading excercises is a good way to speed up the process. Also, getting a hold of a bass clef Real Book and playing tunes out of the book using the method helps as well. Additionally, taking all of your saxophone riffs and playing them on the bass, essentially all of the stuff you do and have done on the sax, do it on the bass.

8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I downloaded that and lost it when my hard drive went down. Thanks for reminding me, I have to go download that again.

That program is great, you can even choose what kind of wood is on your "fretboard"!
  9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

10. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    the links are broken--!!