1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to learn "tapping" from scratch

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by steve5224, Aug 27, 2012.

1. So ive been playing for about 2 years and want to extend my field in playing so little by little i want to more techniques and styles on the bass. One of those techniques i want to learn is tapping. Is there any good videos that show you the proper way and demonstrates on how to do it?

2. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Yes, youtube.

3. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    i kinda started by learning protest the hero songs.
    at first its really confusing but if you bread it down one note at a time it becomes do able

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    There really isn't more to 'tapping' then being able to physically tap the strings without messing up.

Just start tapping! It's that easy.

The trick is constructing a riff because you have to keep in mind that after you tap the string and remove your finger you will have a pull off like effect and what your fretting hand is doing shines through.

Example: on the D string fret an A (7th fret) then tap the D string on the C ( 10th) and release, hear how it is essentially an C then an A.
    All of your taps are going to have that 'two note'-ness to them so stay in key and writing for both notes is the trick.

Just start tapping!

5. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    One thing I've decided to use in tapping (which I'm also starting to integrate into my style) is using chord shapes as a starting point. For example, one part of AIR by Anthrax features what sounds like a quick E-power chord, arpeggiated. I just put the part up an octave from the original and tapped it from the A-string 7th fret.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Experiment ... why should there be a book for that ? or a methode for it ...

You know how to construct a chord ? tap it ... you can try to play a scale using tapping, you could try a tremolo between two notes etc ...

Don't learn a technic to say ... Dude I can do that but you lack the creativity to use it.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The first tappling line I learned was Myung's little solo in Metropolis... it's easy (just octaves) and will get you started.

It helps if your bass is set up well for tapping! If you have really high action on frets 12-on it will be rough. Knowing chord shapes and scales and all that very well will help. Another thing to consider is how you sustain each note... sometimes you just tap it, but you can also keep something pressed for as long as you need to.

I constantly use and write with tapping (I probably used tapping lines on half the songs on my last album)... my suggestion would be to think of it in a different mindset than how tapping is approached on guitar. There is a whole rich world of nuance to bass tapping that isnt used/doesnt apply to guitar.