1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to learn this style of bass playing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dechristimo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dechristimo

dechristimo

Oct 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Just a student working at The Music Mart
    Dirty Loops Baby (Justin Bieber cover) - YouTube

Can anyone really identify where his roots in bass playing are? It is definitely jazzy, but it's that fusion-y jazz that you can hear wooten and many others playing, and I just can't find enough bassists like this and I would love to, because I want to learn how to play like this. Any and all tips and links to learn to play like this are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    to me it comes from R'n'B + Jazz Fusion. Also the reste of the band know that kind of stuff because they did a bass solo !!!

3. Jazzed up rnd funk.
    That girl was kinda cute

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    The bass player is a boy ...

5. Adam Furay

Adam Furay

Aug 16, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
  6. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    LOL don't feel bad I had some trouble figuring that out for a few mins. Dude's a good bass player.

7. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Dude explains why I occasionally get mistaken for a 17-year old emo boy. I feel weird liking a Justin Bieber cover, but, yeah! :D

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    That was some slick playing, no doubt about it. Man, I'll tell ya......I cannot believe how friggin' great some of these younger players are these days. I've been checking out a lot of video's lately and it's really scary to hear how some have talent that far exceeds thier years. Jealous? No. Envious? You better believe it!!

Can't help but wonder if it's too late for an old dog like me to learn some new tricks. I'd love to.

9. dechristimo

dechristimo

Oct 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Just a student working at The Music Mart
    So does anyone have any ideas how to go about practicing to get this kind of style?

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Large helpings of Beat Detective. :p

11. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Gary Willis is another big name in this fusion jazz/R&B style. He has many instructional books, but don't forget to check out his albums. A lot of his Tribal Tech stuff fits in this vein.

12. It does seem to be a fairly modern blend of fusion-y tricks with some loungey funk added in.

13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    How I'd do it:

Get lots of recordings that fall in the categories described by folks above, focus on the ones that evoke the same vibe you like in the recording you posted, and then practice and learn those recordings. Take note of chord changes that have a big impact on your enjoyment of them.

Get a program like Garage Band, queue up beats/rhythm-sections that fit the style, and take phrases/sections/whole lines you picked up above and try to play them over these beats/rhythms.

Personally, I usually just cherry-pick stuff I like from other styles and fit it into whatever I'm doing at the time. But if I were going to try to really learn the style itself, I'd focus on being able to take themes and phrases and reconstruct them in different ways over similar beats.

What happens for me is that some of those phrases or lines will really sit well with me, and then I'll try to build on them -- but the beat and the fact that the phrases started out in a different song that I had learned previously kinda keeps me anchored in that style, so what I add on has a chance of staying in that style as well.

Good luck!
    ltt

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    +1. What I was thinkin anyway.