Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to maintain my warwick thumb

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Clifford, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Clifford

Clifford

Apr 17, 2005
    Hi bass'ers

How do you maintain your bass'es - I just noticed that the fretboard on my warwick thumb is covered by a thin layer of what i guees is sweat and old skin.

How do I get it off without causing any harm.

I usually use bee-wax too maintain the wood in my bass. Is this the best option or do you have any thoughts on maintenance.

Thanx a lot

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Use lemon oil to clean the fingerboard. I like to use linseed oil on fretboards that are unfinished.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah, and dude, don't wax the fingerboard. That's a no-no.

4. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    +1

If you have a wenge fretboard, I'd recommend some bore oil. It'll darken it up a bit and give it what it needs.

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I had this kind of question a couple months ago with my bolt-on thumb, and here's what I found in the posts here...use a 3M green scrubbing brillo thing to clean the finger board, which will also put a nice shine on the frets and use lemon oil to clean and treat the fingerboard.

6. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    As far as the frets go you can use the 3M brillo pad... But you can also use some Nevrdull pads to clean the brass... that'll keep them clean longer. :)

7. Clifford

Clifford

Apr 17, 2005
    Ok thank you

A couple of clarifying questions - lemon oil? where do you buy it? is like a food product or?

What is a 3M green scrubbing brillo?

I'm from denmark so my english may require that you be a bit more specific?

Bass on and thanx a lot

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You can get lemon oil in pharmacies and drugstores. (And some more places, too, but they are most easily found in pharmacies).

I've only used lemon oil to clean the fretboard, and it work well for me; didn't need else. So I don't know what the others are and where to get them.