how to make a bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowshow, Jan 14, 2001.

1. lowshow

Jan 14, 2001
    Hey I was wondering if any one out there could help me with making a BASS guitar. I have been playing with store bought ones and I want to try something different, so if any one out there has any info about making them let me know thanx!

2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  3. lowshow

Jan 14, 2001
    THanx for the info bro that helped a ton!!! I'll keep you guys up to date on the project.

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just finished assembling my 5th or 6th bass...this one is different 'cause I used all Fender parts; it's a retro-looking Jazz with a sunburst body(all of my other logs are Koa, Zebrawood, or Teak)...I used a set of Lane Poor Jazz Pups & wired in a series/parallel push/pull tone pot for a "modern" vibe(Stock J-bass Pups are parallel...series wiring gives more of a P-bass punch).
    Anyway, a grocery list of what you'll need-
    1)Body(Rear routed? Pick up cavities?)
    2)Neck(Fretboard wood? I always ask for the "no dot" look)
    3)Pickups(active, passive, preamp?)
    4)Tuners(What color? What style?)
    5)String Tree(Color)
    6)Neck Plate(Color)
    7)Bridge(Color & style, again)
    8)Strap Pins(Color)
    9)Jack 1/4"
    10)Jack plate(Color)
    11)Volume/Tone Pots...Tone capacitor)
    12)Volume/Tone Knobs(Color)
    13)Pickguard(definitely OPTIONAL!...why spend the $$$ on a piece of plastic that's gonna cover up your nice wood?) ;)

...don't forget screws(usually they come with the hardware; for some reason, though, the Fender S*** I bought didn't include the damn screws...DOLTS!).
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    StewMac sells an EXCELLENT book by Melvin Hiscock halled 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' in which he makes three instruments from scratch using Bolt Neck, Set Neck, and Neck Through styles. On the neck-through, he builds a pretty awesome eight string bass!! Every aspect from design to final setup is covered. I just cannot recommend this highly enough. Helped me to build several instruments that I have been proud to play...

7. Great advice so far, but if you'll pop over to "Setup" and do a search you'll find more and more of what you want to know.

Jes drummin' up some business...
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad- digital camera(in fact, no real camera, no scanner, etc). Any other suggestions?
  9. hmm.. how about you give that bass to me and I´ll take a pic and put it up... favor for a favor! :D

a bass for a pic... how´s that?? :D
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, I'll give you the 14-POUNDER(Lesson #1...don't use too much oil on the body!). :D
  11. OK!!! just have it shipped to my office at Mars University! :D
  12. DeepPunch

Jul 7, 2000
    I, too, am considering making a bass. Since I lack the complete woodshop (i.e. planer, jig saw, disk sander, band saw...), I'll be considering one of the kit manufaturers: Carvin & Warmoth are the 2 I know of.

From what I've read, it seems like the parts are all going to be there or fairly easily available. My 2 big questions are:

1) If I decide to paint the body, what type of paint and delivery system (sprayer, brush) is best to use? I think on this bass I would like a color or semitransparent color.

2) Do the Carvin and Warmoth kits go together well enough so that setup is relatively easy for someone who has setup their store-bought bass?

13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm into natural wood bodies, so I can't offer you any help on the paint question(though, I did just buy a Fender J-body already done in a factory sunburst).

As far as the Warmoth stuff; the body is already routed(mine are rear-routed). The pickup cavities are also routed where they're "supposed to be".
    I haven't experienced any problems with the necks fitting.
    Also, no factory holes for the bridge; this is probably the "trickiest" thing(at least, for me. Ya wanna KEEP IT STRAIGHT!).
    The nut will have to be custom-fit for your string gauge.
    No factory holes for the neck's tuners or string tree. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DON'T DRILL THROUGH THE HEADSTOCK!

I had a friend that used to own his own guitar repair shop; he was a big help, to say the least!