Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to make a fender jazz scream

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 24, 2003.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hi...
    my MiM jazz has a warm round tone but I would like it to be e little more angry... someone knows how to equalize it to make it sound that way? I tried to raise the pickup height but the strings hit the pickups... i tried to use the bridge pickup but it seems to me that the neck pickup just sounds better... If you know some amp settings to make it a bit more aggressive please help me...

ps I considered buying brighter strings but I will use original fender string until they last

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Plug it into a Gibson amp?

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    What kind of amp do you have? If you have any external effects you could try adding a very slight amount of distortion or if your amp has a gain knob turn that up while still being careful not to overpower it.

4. Put it in a fire

edit: In all seriousness...use Stainless Steel strings. They make it scream, TRUST ME!

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Funny you mentioned that!!

Oh Dear God!!!!! When I was first starting out I knew a fellow bassist that used on. It was a tall stck with the head built in. Reminded me of an Ampeg 6x10.

Freaking mud tone!! Terrible.

6. If you can boost your amp around 200K hz, this will help some.

A second option, I suggest is to purchase an outboard Sadowsky Preamp.

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_preamp.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. :D

Mosdef, those preamps are awesome.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    200KHz? Thats way out of the Human Audio Spectrum...

If you meant 200Hz then I dont agree, 200Hz muds the tone.
    If you mean 2Khz then I agree somewhat, that frequency is good to bring some life.

800Hz and 2.5KHz are good points to try.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't agree that 200hz muds the tone. I often boost in the 200-250HZ range to help cut through better in a band situation.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I actually think that 200-250 is a very good point to boost along with 800 and 1.5-2K. To me, midrange is what makes your bass stand out.

11. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    as always...thanx for help
    regarding stainless steel strings... I am collecting money for a set of DR hi-beams....
    I have a boss overdrive but I would like to make the bass scream by itself because I use the pedal the make bigger distorted sound...
    well 200 khz isn't that a bit... muddy??? yesterday I tried mids at 500 hz and the sound is so... boomy!!! It scares me!!! :) But if I raise the mid freq it becomes too trebley and brilliant

(my amp is an ebg gorm...350w combo one 15' speaker and tweeter... I tried raising the tweeter DBs but it kust became more noisy)

12. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    er...not ebg... EBS

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As I said before, I don't think 200Hz is muddy, in fact it helps me cut through a loud band. I also tend to cut 500Hz a little - about 3db. The combination seems to work best for me.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ;)
    I'm old enough to get that!
    Good one!

15. Typo, 200 hz, sorry about that gentlemen.

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Buy a Proco Juggernaut...

:spit: :bawl:

17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Ha! looking to sell yours, Nioe?

200Hz might sound good, but I don't think it's the "scream" frequency. I agree with Luis - it's more like 800Hz.

I've found a Jazz bass usually needs a bit of a bump at 300Hz, while a P-bass needs a bump at 400Hz.

EQ is not the answer. For an angry sound you need a hot pickup.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i think that the sadowsky eq sounds good.
    have you ever listened to billy sheehan? that guys makes his fjazz come to life man!

19. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I'll assume you meant Billy Sheehan. He doesn't play a Jazz.

http://www.billysheehan.com/main_gear.html