1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make a Fender look like a Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afzoomie67, Jun 8, 2011.

1. So I've seen pics of Fenders that have been mod'd to look like Ricks, and I want a Rickenbacker..badly. I just don't have the money to drop on them, so if I was to buy a MIM P or J bass, how would I go about this?

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    A router, some saws, and magical woodworking skills.

I have never seen a fender modded to look like a ric. It would probably be less effort to start with a tree. But honestly why would you want to do such a thing? :confused:

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    What he said.

4. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Considering they dont really look anythign alike it would involve a lot of woodworking and parts replacment. Youre better off starting from scratch or buying a ric.

5. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It would be a hell of a job to take a Fender and make it look like a real Rickenbacker, you would still have a Fender headstock, Fender neck inlays, Fender pickups, etc. The body and hardware would look Ric (maybe), and people would probably be generally confused, but impressed if you pulled it off.

However, judging by the fact that you don't even know where to start, I'd say buy a cheap Rickenbacker knockoff and upgrade the pickups or something.

6. Really? I'd like to see one(not calling you out, it's just that I've never seen such a thing).

7. I'd like to see this. Anyone got any pics?

8. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I'll be damned !!! :confused:

9. The person added tons of knobs, but it's one of the pictures

+The Rickenbacker Page Hall of Shame

I want something similar, but just the pickups, knobs, pick up selector and more importantly the SOUND

10. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    was this:

'A PET SHOP SOMEWHERE NEAR MELTON MOWBRAY'

Man enters shop and approaches shopkeeper at counter.

Man Good morning, I'd like to buy a cat.

Shopkeeper Certainly sir. I've got a lovely terrier. (indicates a box on the counter

Man (glancing in box) No, I want a cat really.

Shopkeeper (taking box off counter and then putting it back on counter as if it is a different box) Oh yeah, how about that?

Man (looking in box) No, that's the terrier.

Shopkeeper Well, it's as near as dammit.

Man Well what do you mean? I want a cat.

Shopkeeper Listen, tell you what. I'll file its legs down a bit, take its snout out, stick a few wires through its cheeks. There you are, a lovely pussy cat.

Man Its not a proper cat.

Shopkeeper What do you mean?

Man Well it wouldn't meow.

Shopkeeper Well it would howl a bit.

Man No, no, no, no. Er, have you got a parrot?

Shopkeeper No, I'm afraid not actually guv, we're fresh out of parrots. I'll tell you what though ... I'll lop its back legs off, make good, strip the fur, stick a couple of wings on and staple on a beak of your own choice. (taking small box and rattling it) No problem. Lovely parrot.

Man How long would that take?

Shopkeeper Oh, let me see ... er, stripping the fur off, no legs ... (calling) Harry ... can you do a parrot job on this terrier straight away?

Harry (off-screen) No, I'm still putting a tuck in the Airedale, and then I got the frogs to let out.

Shopkeeper Friday?

Man No I need it for tomorrow. It's a present.

Shopkeeper Oh dear, it's a long job. You see parrot conversion ... Tell you what though, for free, terriers make lovely fish. I mean I could do that for you straight away. Legs off, fins on, stick a little pipe through the back of its neck so it can breathe, bit of gold paint, make good ...

Man You'd need a very big tank.

Shopkeeper It's a great conversation piece.

Man Yes, all right, all right ... but, uh, only if I can watch.

11. Schecter has a Rick look-a-like. Not sure about it specifically, but I really like my Riot-5, and have never played a Schecter that wasn't at least half decent.

12. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Don't buy the MIM P or J. Start saving bread for the RIC. You could build a RIC style bass from Warmoth parts, but that would require woodworking skills to cut out a body to look like a RIC. You could have a custom builder make a RIC style bass, but that would cost at least $2000 IMO - better to get a real RIC. LeCompte has a cool RIC inspired bass called the Baron that looks pretty cool with a base price of $1400 - not bad!

http://www.lecomptebass.com/brn4/SN65/pics/lec-brn4-sn65-03.jpg

13. Stargazer.

14. Why would the OP get this for $1400 when he could have an actual Rick for that price?

15. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    (Troll.)

16. Oh. You meant the Ric pickup system. Because the Precision in that picture still looks like a Precision to me.

Well, you or some adventurous bass tech is going to have to take a P Bass and start routing away. Get yer hands on the electronics you want and stuff 'em in there. As far as sounding like a Ric, that's anyone's guess.

BTW, unless you're really good with electronics, you'll have to pay a tech to do the work for you. You'll have to purchase a P Bass. And you'll have to purchase the electronics. I think for right around the same coin you can find a nice used Ric. I nice midnight blue version just sold here on TB for $1300 shipped.

17. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I dont know man. To me that p-ric defines epic failure. :meh:

18. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    +100 :meh:

19. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Probably because its a great bass by a respected builder. Thats and because its NOT a ric. IMO its much nicer to have a custom bass that loks like a ric without all the restrictions, wait time and/or crazy upcharges for nicer woods and stuff you want. Same goes for just about any custom fender look alike.

20. I still have yet to see a Fender that even remotely resembles a Ric.