1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make a Fender P sound like a Fender J (minus mods)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Mar 27, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Just woundering if there was any way of making a Pbass sound like a Jazz. Obviously you could say just buy a jazz?well i have both:Djust curious to know how you could change the Pbass sound without any mods to make it sound like a Jazz. Any replies would be great thanks

2. The same way you can change a toyota into a lamborgini without changing anything : you close your eyes and dream about it.

Sorry, i'm kidding but obviously without any mods you can't change the sound of a bass. with mods you could try putting a series parallel switch or even better add a j-pickup in the bridge position otherwise wel:meh:

3. Nope you're stuck. I have an American Deluxe P, and no matter what I do with it, it still has that P-bass sound. I've thought about trying different pickups, but most P-pickups are produced to sound like P-pickups. Definately a one-trick pony.

4. why would you want to do that....:confused:

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    mm ok thanks guys. I think maybe i was more thinking about eq on the amp maybe. I was just curious about what you could do to change it. Ok how would u change the eq to make it sound like a jazz:D starting to look like this should be over in amps

6. I thought that was a P/2J bass :eyebrow:

7. It has a humbucker at the bridge and a P at the neck. Even with most of the P-pickup blended out it still sounds like a P-bass, albeit a bridgey-nasally sounding P-bass.

8. weird I have a P/J reggie hamilton jazz bass and it can get really really really close to a jazz sound.. though could be the preamp though.. I have a diffirent preamp than usual fenders..

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Make your P bass a PJ and install a Jazz pickup in the bridge position. ;)

10. An S1 switch will get you closer. I don't know if you can get one aftermarket, though.

11. awww man, i thought you were going to tell us how to do it, not ask!