1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make a great Craigslist ad for basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by azfryguy, Nov 10, 2010.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I assume over the thousands of threads there is a general out line to follow to make an excellent add. Alas, I can't find any. So if anyone could help me out that would just make my day.

Here are some quick questions

Should I put a price?

Whats the best way to take pictures? (All i have is a 5 megapixel camera)

Should I put up mp3s of the bass?

These are just the tip of the iceberg. If anybody has any input please don't hesitate.

2. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Why don't you just try to sell it on TB's classifieds?

There are a lot of Peavey fans here and it would probably sell quicker than on Craigslist.

3. Yes put a price,take pictures of the front,the back,and any major blemishes. I wouldn't bother with the mp3s. All I ever do is say what I have for sale,what i'm asking,describe the bass,and add photos. Let people know if they have any questions they can email you.

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I like to put enough information to give someone a general feel for what I am saying but leave out some details so they will want to contact, the more time they spend with your item the better chance I believe you have a making a sale. When someone asks you questions you get to talk with them and tell more lots more about your item

my 2 cents,
    Todd :)

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Be ready for lots of spam on CL too. Join TB and it will sell.

6. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    CL is to sell cheap stuff or to sell stuff cheaply IME IMHO ETC. Be prepared to be haggled with high-end stuff.

7. Pictures are everything when selling anything both here and on Craigslist. That and correct spelling. :)

8. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Amen on both points.

9. Robotsatemygma

Robotsatemygma

Jan 17, 2010
    I really think you have to look at things from a marketing perspective.

Example, I tried selling my Engl and 7 string guitar on CL and they never sold but I could easily post them on the Sevenstring.org forums and move them, if I want to deal with paypal and shipping. Likewise, I would sell my bass stuff here.

But it's funny cause I actually just sold a guitar amp today by posting an ad on CL last week. Guy was really motivated because he knew what it was and thought what I was asking for it was a good deal. I didn't even post pictures of it just 'Hey here's my Bugera 6262 for sale. Less then 10 hours on it over a year old don't need it anymore. Ask if you want pictures." Bam sold. Oh and watch for the scammers... they are usually the first one's to respond.

Oh, and a NBAD will be posted... and some thoughts about the whole Squire vs. Fender. :D

My point is, if it's a common item under $500 I think it'll move on CL, otherwise think of the market you're trying to appeal too and post something on a forum relating to it.:cool:

10. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    have faith in your product, I can't stress that enough. Also, know it's faults

11. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I have had great luck on the Phoenix and Tucson CL, both buying and selling. Sure, I get scammers and offers to trade for French Fries and stuff, but they're easy enough to ignore. I also love my Supporting Membership. Easily paid for itself and I've made some good pals.

I bet im only 10 minutes down the roadfrom you, so if you need some help with photography and ads, PM me and I'll be glad to get with you and share my success.

12. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom

Phoenix CL is very good but I've had better luck with lower-end items. I even got $60 more than I posted for my LP(which I got at a steal on CL months before).

13. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    Do I have to be a supporting member to sell stuff on TB

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes

15. craigs is great , most of the time its used fender p basses that are actually squiers once u read the ad,selling for 300 with an amp and cord

16. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It's absolutely worth it to be a supporting member whether you sell stuff or not.

Brownie points? ;)

I kid.

Describe the bass the best to your ability and include as many hi res photos as you can. Go over all the good and bad of the bass - include all dings etc. State whether you are the first owner, or if you bought it used. Don't give out the serial number (especially on more expensive basses) until you're sure you have a buyer.

Leave a little bit of wiggle room on your asking price - and state clearly what comes with the bass (i.e case? extra strings? strap? etc)

17. Dude craigslist is all about price , people want CHEAP on craigs.

This is a fair price, crap ad though.
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/2053619308.html

Take clear pics, be kind , explain to people . Let people know you know what your talking about through information and help on there choice.

Most people on craigs are not as well informed as TB bass players, its mostly newbs or non gear heads just looking for a good deal to play on.

I sell alot on there but over the past 6 months have move to TB and parted basses instead, just less frustration.

Of course I have only sold 80 basses in the last 2 years so I dont know what I am talking about :)

18. MiraiHikki

MiraiHikki

Apr 4, 2010
    Well, here's another question. How do you go about letting them try the bass? I don't really want anybody in or around where I live, but I know not to expect someone to buy if they can't try it. Will I just have to man up and let them in?

Edit: Er, damn. By house, I meant apartment....

19. I do that in the garage , I meet them at the front door and say its out i my garage. I leave the garage door open , we walk up to it. They dont go through my house , the door in my garage to my house is locked. I have a amp and a chair fro them to sit in.

I dont like people to come in my house, for one other people live here that i dont want to put in harms way for my bass addiction

20. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Myself, I'm not even down for strangers knowing where I live. These days, you never know when someone is looking at your Fender, or casing the joint for a break-in. Especially with my schedule of being gone on shift.

Another downer for giving cats your address is the sheer quantity of mental illness out there. I sold a bass on eBay once and the dude wanted to return it because it was down-tuned a half step. If that had been a local sale out of my house, he could have started hassling me and my family where we live.

I always go somewhere semi-public and meet in a parking lot or something. I bring my firehouse practice amp, a cord, and a power inverter to run off my cigarette lighter. Play a scale, Smoke on the Water, or whatever and either buy it or I'll see ya later. Hassle? maybe a little. Worth doing? absolutely