1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HOW TO MAKE A JAZZ BASS HAVE RIC-O-SOUND.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Oct 9, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Okay, so a Rickenbacker's Ric-O-Sound thing is a way that you can run the bass through two seperate amps at once, and allowing you to tweak one to sound one way, and the other to sound another way. Too bad you can't do that with a Jazz bass. Or can you?

If you line out (or use the headphone jack) from one combo into another, you can do almost the same thing. It's not going to single the pickups like true Ric-O-Sound, but it does give you new sonic options. You can run into one amp and crank the standard EQ, and another to put distortion on it. I'm probably not the first to try and successfully accomplish this, but I think it's a cool trick. :bassist:

2. I HAVE rewired a Jazz bass to stereo! I used a stereo Jack, seperate volumes and a stacked pot for the tone control.
    Then just used my standard stereo instrument cable.

I wire all of my 2 PU basses stereo.

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Cool. I am not good at all at wiring, so I just run through patching cables through seperate combos. I'm trying to find another combo, now that my old 15 watt (my first amp, with which I first experimented with this) is pretty much fried. I'm also thinking about trading in my GK (75 watt, but volume-dead when contour and overdrive are engaged, as I need) Backline 110 for a Marshall MB30 (45 watts, but blows my GK's volume and crunchy, overdrive tone ability out of the water.) I need to try to use the dual amp setup patching through a PA, to see if it works from amp-to-amp-to-PA. I guess line out or headphone from amp 1 into Headphone for amp 2, then line out from amp 2 into the PA. Seems like it'd work. That'd be a sweet live sound....

4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Oh, and congrats on rewiring those basses like that.

5. It's pretty easy...I just copied a single pu design. Like a P bass.
    Soldering, I think is a necessary thing for any bassist, g******st, musician. Too many cables and wires need repairs from time to time.

6. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks. I'll try to learn. I hate shelling out money to get crap fixed.

7. Basic electrical and electronic knowledge is extremely useful to any electric instrumentalist. Much of it is simple common sense.

8. Splitting a Jazz into two independent outputs is very simple. The downside is that you will have no humbucking action with both pickups at full.

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    So if you use a mono cable, will it just be like using a normal jazz bass? I've been wanting to do something like this, but thought I might need a separate input jack if I wanted to go mono....

10. Yes, you would need a separate jack for a mono output. I did not want another jack on the Jazz....so I made a stereo to mono cable for that situation.

11. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Okay, I have successfully worked all the bugs out of the rig that started this thread.

1. Squier VM Jazz Bass with Badass II bridge,low action, bridge pickup pumped, neck about 10% or less. Plugged into......

2. Digitech BP80 (I think) multi-effect bass pedal set to effect 46 (I believe, "amp model", "noise gate", etc. It boosts clarity and treble response in an amp. which is sent into.....

3. GK Backline 110 (70 watt combo, muddy, dull, and volume-dead through it's own speaker (When I engage the neccassary switches), but great through PA.), Treble, Mids, and Bass all equal, contour engaged, overdrive engaged with low gain (just enough to coat the sound in that Geddy-esque grit). Lining out into the PA. Headphone Jack output running into the input of.....

4. Dean Bassola 10 (I believe. My first amp, 15 watts, only works at three VERY EXACT positions of the volume knob. obviously needs new pots or something.), treble a bit lower than mids, bass lowest, presence a good way up. This amp gets miked.

5. DUAL AMP BASS TONE.

I am very happy with it so far. There are still some experiments/repairs(on the little 15 watt-er) to do, but it's working, and I couldn't be happier, unless I had a huge marshall amp (which I'm still planning on saving for.)

12. Bump for more Holiday weekend action....:)