1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to make a pedalboard breakout panel

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I recently sold a Pedaltrain PT-2 with a breakout panel which I installed. I received a lot of questions regarding why and a bunch of how to's, so I thought I'd post this thread. Before we get started, here's a photo:

4435A59F-D7DF-4B0D-8C10-B5E47B492D1E-1400-000000D03CB7417A_zps36d4fc80.
    A8DCBDE1-67EF-4CA4-83F6-78127A549F7B-1400-000000D042543C7F_zps104afd07.
    • You wire your front of amp pedals (tuner, overdrives, chorus, wah, etc.) between the guitar jack and the amp jacks. These effects will go in before the preamp section of your amp.
    • You wire your time-based effects (delay, reverb, tremolo) between the send and return jacks. These effects will go into your effects loop and after your preamp.
    • This allows you you use the 4 cable method on amps with effects loops and have your effects sound optimal.
    • On amps without effects loops you can jumper the amp and send jacks and plug the return jack into the front of the amp. All effects will go through the front of the amp.
    • This setup has allowed me to use my board for a variety of different amps and never have to reconfigure or rewire it.
    The 1/4" locking connectors I used are from Redco:

PM-TRSTRS.

http://www.redco.com/Redco-PM-TRS-TRS.html

I color coded them using these:

scdp.

http://www.redco.com/Neutrik-SCDP.html

I did this a while ago, so I don't remember what size drill I used. Just make sure it's big enough to fit the jack through the Pedaltrain extrusion but small enough to leave some room to mount the jack's flange to the pedalboard. To mount the flanges to the Pedaltrain I used rivets. Measure carefully, twice or three times, even! Also, center punch the hole location centers to keep your drill from walking.

Also, please be sure to wear eye and hand protection. The aluminum can fly and the edges can get sharp. Don't want to damage those eyes or money-making hands!

Hope this helps you guys out!

2. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks! Wish I was as skilled as you are with these kinds of things....LOL!

First of my dumb questions..what is "jumper the amp" and "the 4 cable method" Thanks!

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    4 cable method:
    1. guitar > pedalboard (front end pedals)
    2. pedalboard > amp (front end pedals)
    3. effects loop send
    4. effects loop return
    Hence the 4 jacks on the pedalboard :)

Jumper:

F2CD2875-FDEC-43D2-AF65-D75249379639-1400-000000D047617A57_zpsec83dcec.

4. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    so i should put the INPUT of my pedal to SEND of REDCO, my OUTPUT to RETURN of REDCO. then my bass to IN on REDCO, then OUT of REDCO to AMP.

I'm using the board just straight up. IN to Tuner and OUT from volume pedal.

How does the back end of REDCO be wired? I understand that you just plug in a jack in it. The RETURN and SEND i got it. but the IN /OUT, I don't quite get it. What jack should go in it? Pardon for the ignorance.

Thanks for the help.