How to make a stingray's piezo's sound like Vic's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Mar 17, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    alright so i know that if i want to sound like vic i should have bought a fodera... but i was wondering if anybody had suggestions on how to make the piezo's in my stingray 5 sound like they do on "a show of hands" and "more love" Is there anything i can do EQ wise, other than just running the piezo's 100%. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot
    0h, my amp is an ampeg, but i'm also playing w/ a Bass Pod, so pretending i own others isn't that difficult.
  2. I would just like to say that I am not familiar with the Stingray piezos specifically but have a couple suggestions anyway. On "A show of hands" and "More love" it is just piezo on a tenor bass (strung, A,D,G,C) IIRC. Anyway, if you find that your piezos sound to clanky and don't have enough low end it may an impedence issue. IMO, many of the less expensive bridge peizos sound not very good in general though. The shadow piezo on ABM bridges and the like are pretty thin sounding. The only piezos that I have heard that sound good on their own in a bass are the Rick Turner, RMC and the fishman (that I played in a Rob Allen bass). So you may be SOL with your current setup as far as that particular sound goes.

3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    actually the piezo's on the stingray are made by fishman, and they're bassier than the sound on the Vic Album... They sound more like normal pickups than his. i forgot that he used a tenor bass, so maybe thinner strings would do the trick, i also think he uses steel strings on everything too. I guess i was wondering if i could get any closer to that sound without any major changes, so i could have the stingray sound AND that one... but thanks for the info.
  4. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I think it's impossible to make a stingray sound the way you want,I'm sorry for you.Don't waste your money and time with any customization.
    The sting ray is a 1 tone bass.It's great for Flea's stuff and similar;but for the rest I've always found the stingray awfull. I think that if you are a bassist with a good taste for bass-tones,like the Victor's one for example,You have only to sell that sting!:)