Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to make a Warwick better...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrsfnkta, Aug 23, 2002.

1. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Got tired of everybody bitchin' about old vs new Warwicks. I don't care what any of you say - it is a SUBJECTIVE opinion (that means it is based on your individual opinion).

Anywho, I am not the biggest fan of the EMGs in my babies. Now I'm no expert on these matters so I thought I would ask here about pickup selection. Let's say I want to change out the EMGs (which I have been contemplating). I have only ever really listened to EMG and Bartolini, but I am looking to get educated.

So here's your assignment:

You have an "85 Streamer with EMGs (P-J config) and an '88 Thumb with EMGs (J-J config). What would you do? Give a good argument on pickup selection and preamp selection - maybe I'll send you the bass to test play once we get her wired for sound...

Jim Isbell

2. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Have you tried one of the Warwicks with Seymour Duncan pickups? Maybe try one of those and see if you like the way they sound. Or keep one with EMGs and put Barts on the other and have the best of both worlds.

Oh you asked what I would do. I would keep the EMGs on the P/J. (because I like Emgs more than Barts) I would put Duncans on the J/J with Duncan preamp with a slap contour switch.

3. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    From what I have heard, I am missing out big-time on my Thumb by not having Basslines in there. That is the direction I am leaning right now.

Also, if we need to move this over to the "Pickups" forum that's cool. I just figured I'd post over here since we had such a fun little discussion about Warwicks! I'm telling you, not enough people around here (home town) with the opinions and humor found on the bass message boards. Ha, ha, ha!

Jim

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Streamer LX6 fretless has the basslines and the MEC preamp. I don't have never heard a Warwick modded with Barts, but I will say that the tone of the basslines matches the basses very well.

The whole "sound of wood" thing that Warwick has going is more than just a slogan. The are, good or bad, unique sounding basses and if asked to describe the tone, I might be inclined to say "woody."

The basslines do a great job of accenting the toothiness of the Warwick sound. They really bring out the grit.

I plan on making one mod to my Streamer on of these days. I want install an aguilar preamp.

As far as pickups go, I really like the basslines with that bass.

Chas

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I know I sound like a broken record (what's a record?! :confused: ), but Basslines are the way to go.

6. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Figure I should go with a matching Basslines pre? I have heard some good things about that Aguilar, though. My main rig is an Eden Navigator pre if that gives you any idea of the sound I'm interested in. Oh yeah, and the Warwicks. And my new FBB!

Jim

7. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have had experience with both of those basses and all of those pup's. Myself I would leave the emg's in or if you had to change get the basslines. You may get better milage (sp?) out of changing to the aguilar preamp. I thought the barts sounded bad in the streamer and worse in the thumb. Of course thats just me. IMO the barts sound far to "brown" in those basses but it kinda depends on what kind of music you are playing.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would say... Go with the this belongs in pickups selection ;)

9. Sell, buy Spector NS-2.

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

10. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, I kind of feel bad about my Streamer being one of the earliest - there is still a lot of controversy about royalty payments to Spector for the design rights.

Jim

PS - I am going with the Basslines - if Woodchuck can let me know which ones to get...

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I like Aguilar's preamp, but I found them to be too bottom heavy. On a bass like a Warwick, that may not be a good thing. Here's a suggestion.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd go with the U-retro deluxe preamp with some basslines if you don't like EMG's. it's $$$ though.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the Basslines soapbars in mY 1998 Streamer Stage I 5. I don't know what preamp I have. The push/pull is for active/passive, so I'm thinking it's MEC? Regardless, it all sounds good. I'm happy to have the chunky Warwick tone on my palette; sounds especially good in my Modern Rock<sup>tm</sup> band.

If I were you, I would keep EMGs in one and try Basslines in the other. Then, if you decided the Basslines sounded better you could replace the remaining set of EMGs. But as mentioned above, I prefer to have a variety of tonal colors at my disposal, so perhaps you could keep the EMGs, or replace them barts or something else.

14. Which Basslines pickups would you reccomend for a Thumb bass? I was looking at Seymour Duncans website, and they have several different Jazz pup's for 5 strings.

15. The whole point is moot. Warwick Custom Shop will build you anything you want...

Name your wood.
    Name the construction.
    Name the hardware.
    Flush mount strap locks are still an option.
    Name your preamp.
    Name your pick-ups.
    Wanna double neck?
    Eight String?
    Name your "anything your heart desires."

Just open your wallet!

16. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    I have a 1984 streamer. Took out the EMGs and put in Barts with a Bart preamp. Couldn't be happier. I like the warmth of the Barts vs. the EMGs