Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to make an acoustic recording of an ABG?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Jan 18, 2003.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I wounder if any of you have made a recording of an ABG unplugged, i.e. only using a good studio microphone? My ABG has a really big resonance volume and sound good unplugged, so it's that sound I want to hear in the recording. Is there something to have in mind while recoding the bass?

/MrBaloo

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've never tried it, but I'd say you'd need a decent mic - i.e. one with good bass response. But, give it a go, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

3. yep- recorded the fretless acoustic part on "Fluxivity" on the talkbass station using a (albeit fairly cheap) Sennheiser dynamic mic, pointed around the end of the fingerboard.
    (experimentation with the mic position being a vital part in finding the sound you want)

It needed quite a bit of compression in the mix to even out volume peaks.

a better quality condenser mic would pick up more highs/ fingerboard-string noise.

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok. That sounds good: A fairly good studio mic and a compressor. Nice! I would try this next time I will record anything with a bass.

/MrBaloo