How to make an acoustic recording of an ABG?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Jan 18, 2003.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I wounder if any of you have made a recording of an ABG unplugged, i.e. only using a good studio microphone? My ABG has a really big resonance volume and sound good unplugged, so it's that sound I want to hear in the recording. Is there something to have in mind while recoding the bass?

/MrBaloo

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've never tried it, but I'd say you'd need a decent mic - i.e. one with good bass response. But, give it a go, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

3. yep- recorded the fretless acoustic part on "Fluxivity" on the talkbass station using a (albeit fairly cheap) Sennheiser dynamic mic, pointed around the end of the fingerboard.
    (experimentation with the mic position being a vital part in finding the sound you want)

It needed quite a bit of compression in the mix to even out volume peaks.

a better quality condenser mic would pick up more highs/ fingerboard-string noise.

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok. That sounds good: A fairly good studio mic and a compressor. Nice! I would try this next time I will record anything with a bass.

/MrBaloo