1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to make bongo sound good on slap???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ric1312, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Hi, I'm playing a 4 string bongo bass. I can't seem to get this bass to sound good for slap. Is there someway I should set up the EQ on the bass to make it sound good for that?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I assume you know to boost the lows & highs, cut the mids. Right?

MM

3. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    No, I didn't. Thank you, this is why I asked. I've read several posts where people thought a bongo was great for slap. And mines not broken, so I knew it had to do with eq settings.

Also, I can only slap a little, so not to expierenced to settings best suited for that.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You might want to try soloing the neck pickup if you have a dual pickup Bongo. The pickup blend knob is next to the volume knob on your bass. Turn it toward the headstock to solo the neck pickup and toward the bridge to solo the bridge pickup.

5. Sherwood

Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    I get my favorite tone by cutting the bass on the neck and boosting the high, then cutting the high on the bridge and boosting the bass. I set the blend a little towards the neck, and Voila! Great slap tone. Scooping the mids would have a lot to do with your amp, since the Bongo only has a bass and treble boost/cut, no mid control. Best of luck.

6. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Actually the bongo does have mid control. The two knobs all the way to the back is bass and treble, and the one in front of that is high mid low mid, at least on mine.

7. Sherwood

Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    Yeah, just checked out the diagrams, turns out I have an oddball Bongo indeed. The front knob is high mid/low mid. Go nuts.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...how do you make it sound bad for slap? No question that buggering around with the EQ will get you a nicer sound for it, but IMO, that instrument just about one of the punchiest, ballsiest basses I've ever played and it's just begging to be slapped.