Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to make guitar cab suitable for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Nov 27, 2004.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey guys, first post a supporting user :D

Ok, now that that's out of the way....

The other night I decided to try my bass through my guitarists old peavey 4x12 with my hartke 2x10 on top. The sound was incredible compared to the sound I was getting from the 15 I was using prior.

Now, I know that doing this isn't a great idea for the sake of the speakers being used, but the sound is a lot closer to what I want to hear than what I've been getting.

So, what all do I need to do to keep the cab alive? I'm prolly gonna save up to get some carvin speakers for it(haven't priced the more talked about speaker companies yet, just familiar with carvin through my friend who runs sound). Will it be alright with just new speakers or would I need to make anymore ajustments?

I played a show last night with the setup.....Sadly I had to be late so the bassist from another band we play with a lot did my check for me through my gear brought by the band.... Yeah, it was cranked.. Well, the main was only halfway, but I've never actually had my 3500 up that high during playing conditions. It just got muddier and muddier throughout the night...As I expected

I'm hoping just new speakers will get the job done. Is there anything else I could do to keep the integrity of my sound? I looked into bass 4x12...but yeah, a lil pricey. especially if just getting new speakers will suffice.

Thanks

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what kind of 15" were you using? what you probably heard was an increase in upper mids. I wouldnt suggest using the cabinet even with bass speakers, as the cab won't be designed to perform well with them. Of course, it's your choice. I would reccomend looking at a lot of other cabinets, (not just 12" and 10", even some 15" like the bag end s15 have lots of high mids, but you'll probably be happier with 12" speakers)

3. The best way to use it would be to get a crossover unit and send all the highs and mids to the guitar cab, and the lows into the 1x15.

4. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I was using a peavey 15. I also ran it using each of my sunn 15's also, but still prefered the 12 after side by side testing. There was just so much more punch.

Right now I'm running the 4x12 with my 2x10. Tried the 4x12 with the 15's also but prefered it matched with the 2x10.

I've always craved Bag End...mainly because i'm a tolkien fan and because Ive read so many good reviews. I just don't have the cash right now for a higher quality cab and don't have the chance to play any gear really because of my location. I'm thinking about possibly saving up and going with an avatar 4x10 and 2x12....maybe I can do some wheeling and dealing with my current gear for a setup like that...

I may look into the crossover anyways, I've always like the idea of the cabs sending out different frequencies that their more designed for....

Thanks for the input

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Hey, I'm from Charleston, have you ever checked out Fret & Fiddle? They sometimes get some pretty nice used stuff in. I don't know about Bag End, but I've seen Ampeg and Mesa stuff there.

6. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey man, yeah I go to fret n fiddle every so often. Well, more like once every few months. My guitarist loves the place and it seems like he's always selling something on consignment there. I hear theres a real nice place in bridgeport called music center or something along those lines...I plan on heading up there before too long and seeing what all they've got.