how to make Hartke look good!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steriogenesis, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just got the mind enough (old people talk) today to go out and spend a whole $2.73 on a can of spray-paint (or paint-spray) for my cheap looking hartke 410xl.

After taking off the BIG GAUDY lables and Hartke logo, I spent about an hour getting the adhesive off of the grill, then sprayed 3 coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic paint on it.

I looks like a million dollars now (or at least a bit more expensive;) ) I would suggest it to anyone who doesn't like the unimpressive looks of Hartke cabinets.

(The picture does not do it justice though....I will post pictures of it when I spray my avatar 15" grill and have the whole rig together finished.)
  2. Here is the before shot (with my other old amp) a few months ago...
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No offense but,
    That is just plain silly.
    If you're happy with it, so be it.
  4. You have to look at the big picture!

I have to agree that when its just sitting there alone in the room, away from my rehearsal space, it looks ridiculous, but I've seen it done before (with the complete setup) and it was quite polular amongst other musicians (who aren't complete idiots...not intending that you are one) young and old. And VERY attractive to me as well.

If you prefer the huge goofy looking Hartke logo then thats fine....It's all personal taste.

I should have waited until it was complete, none the less, but it looks really good (at least when imagining the finished results.)

BTW...I dont have the money to buy any better, so I feel that I have added a little more of myself to it...It makes it more valuable to me.

What is everyone elses oppinion?
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i'm pretty sure that's the only part that matters
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why is this silly?

the guy wanted to make something that looked silly to him to begin with, and made it more palatable.

Stgen, i salute you! i agree, it does look cooler and better, and kinda Bergantino-esque, too! great job.
  7. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I concur with the honorable Dr. Joker.

Looks bitchin! I can't stand that big Hartke logo. Ugh. I can just see the art department... "We need a logo" ... "ok, how about a dude's name in big block letters, I haven't ever seen that done before"... "great, lets have a beer"...

That said, there's no way in hell I would have done that, just for resale reasons...

But seriously, I think it looks much classier, and if you're diggin it, more power to ya.
  8. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i think it looks better, but the aluminum cones are still a dead giveaway ;)

well, it could also be a genz benz i suppose
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

now there's a company whose product could really use a facelift... :meh:
  10. Doesn't look bad, mind you it'd probably look better and show a little nicer if it wasn't against a white wall, looking forward to seeing it finished.
  11. Ruptured

May 14, 2003
    That looks awsome

Some people think that the sound is the only thing that matters.......but if you get something looking good as well,it makes for all the better.

Good onya.

Dec 28, 2002
    Deffinettly looks more classy how you did it like to see a better its probabbly good forgot i just had to drop my monitor a foot off the ground so it would stop flippin out lost a lot of coulor though
    **** im coulor blind anyways LOL
  13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Kudo's my friend! Looks good and most like it and that is the main reason.
    I wonder though since you seem to have used a good deal of paint does the grill have a sticky-paint feel at all when you touch it?:bassist:
  14. Just to show you how really non-visual I am, I've never thought Hartke look good or bad, I've never even noticed and I've been looking at a 4.5XL for the past 9 yrs. I'm kinda tired of looking at the Aluminum drivers. Maybe they could make them in different colors, but then again I think Hartke has built it rep ( good or bad depending on where you stand ) on those shinny metal cones. I'd like to see a metal grill that didn't let you see the speakers at all. Like speak cloth but metal.
  15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You all forgot to read this part of my post

my point is there is nothing wrong with the way Hartke's looks just as they are. They don't look cheap to me, but what you did to it just looks plain CHEESY TO ME that is. But as I said in my first post
    If I were looking to buy a used Hartke cab and someone showed me that for sale I probably wouldn't buy it or would offer LOW dollar. makes me think, hmmm I wonder what else they screwed around with on this cab. But if you are planning on keeping it forever and really want it to look like an SWR ENJOY!
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    BTW I have no problem with yanking the logo off of any cab. I just keep them around incase I want to resell.
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Only because you asked for opinions:

1. You ruined the resale value of the cab.

2. It no longer looks professional or a like a piece of gear that a serious musician would use. If I was auditioning bassists for a pro gig and you wheeled that into the audition in that condition, it would cost you points.

3. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder and you had every right to do what you did to make yourself happy, but that doesn't change points 1 and 2 above.

Just one man's opinion . . .
  18. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    What we really need to address for next time, is how to make Hartke SOUND good!

:D joking!!
  19. Thats all fine...

-I dont pawn equipment off like its nothing....410 cabs can be found anywhere....IM KEEPING THIS...I have to reason to sell it. If I want a new 410, I'll buy another and keep this for practicing...

-Thank you to all who have positive comments....To others, thank you too...But wait until its finished before you judge.

-If you judge your bass auditions on the LOOK of his/her bass equipment and not musicianship you should reconsider why you are a musician! I don't play bass in a suit and neither does my cabinet!

-(And the sound comment....That was considered BEFORE I bought the cabinet. Now I am just thinking creativly.)

Anyway, thank you ALL.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.