Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to make pickups yourself

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JerryH, Oct 27, 2000.

1. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, it may sound stupid and it may be stupid, but I would like to have a try anyway!

Here is the list I think has to be cleared first:
    - wire gauge (as thin as possible to fit to coil)
    - magnet poles (yes, where to find them and modify or make them)
    - dimensions (small enough to fit existing cavity)
    - rounds (enough to have lots of power, but not too much to lose the highs)
    - any other parameter that counts

The project would be my Squier ProTone 5 that has now some sort of soapbars and they are not powerfull enough to my taste. I would like to use existing cavities (neck and bridge position) not to destroy to beautiful body and to keep it as close to original as possible. The new config would be with three single coils - yes three (3 pieces). The neck position would have only one and wired alone to pot. The bridge position would have two with a small switch that allows one (1) single coil/both in serial/both in parallel to bridge pot. How does this sound? The bridge position would have then two single coil that are real narrow but allow lot of choises.

OK, I could also write to Lane Poor, which maybe one solution and ask him to make them. It is just, because I would like to learn some basics for this part of the sound too. The quest to improve ProTone has begun and will never stop. The ProTone has a really good acoustics (a bit floppy B, but good enough) but the bite is missing in electronics. Oh, yes I want to keep it passive, but active with passive mode might be acceptable.

Please give any input to my project, which is still on hold!

[Edited by JerryH on 10-27-2000 at 08:30 AM]