1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to make pickups yourself

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JerryH, Oct 27, 2000.

1. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, it may sound stupid and it may be stupid, but I would like to have a try anyway!

Here is the list I think has to be cleared first:
    - wire gauge (as thin as possible to fit to coil)
    - magnet poles (yes, where to find them and modify or make them)
    - dimensions (small enough to fit existing cavity)
    - rounds (enough to have lots of power, but not too much to lose the highs)
    - any other parameter that counts

The project would be my Squier ProTone 5 that has now some sort of soapbars and they are not powerfull enough to my taste. I would like to use existing cavities (neck and bridge position) not to destroy to beautiful body and to keep it as close to original as possible. The new config would be with three single coils - yes three (3 pieces). The neck position would have only one and wired alone to pot. The bridge position would have two with a small switch that allows one (1) single coil/both in serial/both in parallel to bridge pot. How does this sound? The bridge position would have then two single coil that are real narrow but allow lot of choises.

OK, I could also write to Lane Poor, which maybe one solution and ask him to make them. It is just, because I would like to learn some basics for this part of the sound too. The quest to improve ProTone has begun and will never stop. The ProTone has a really good acoustics (a bit floppy B, but good enough) but the bite is missing in electronics. Oh, yes I want to keep it passive, but active with passive mode might be acceptable.

Please give any input to my project, which is still on hold!

[Edited by JerryH on 10-27-2000 at 08:30 AM]

2. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    Try grabbing a screwdriver and rising the pups, and find the spot that does it for you. If you don't, go ahead with this project (i think YouTube will have plenty of tutorials). But I have a cheap chinese SX, and new strings and rising the pups gave it an incredibly powerful sound (I even lowered them a bit since it was distorting hehe)
    Best of luck!

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The biggest mechanical challenge to winding your own pickups is building or purchasing a winder. The parts (magnets, poke pieces, bobbins, wire) are all readily available.

But if you're after specific results in a hurry, you'll get themm faster and far cheaper by just buying something from an experienced pickup maker.

Anybody can wind a pickup. Winding a good pickup is a little more challenging. And knowing how to wind a pickup that gives you what you're expecting to hear before you wind it takes education and experience.

How deeply you want to get into it is the deciding factor when it comes to winding your own. If you just want to truly know what you're talking about, grab a copy of Helmuth Lemme's book Electric Guitar: Sound Secrets and Technology for everything you'll need to know about how it all works.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    This thread is way Necro. But this forum is a pretty swell place to start the DIY journey: Pickup Makers

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Dang, this thread is 17 years old. I wonder if the OP is still among the living. He hasn't posted anything since 2011.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Jerry H. probably started a lucrative business winding his own pickups for Finnish musicians & had to drop out of TB to keep up with the demand!

Passinwind likes this.