How To Make Pro Tools faster?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dllive, May 14, 2012.

1. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Hi guys,
    Ive been using Pro Tools for about a month. The interface is nice, but a bit limited - I guess because I got it came 'free' with my M-Audio device. But whats causing me issues is that its very slow to start up, and is a bit slow when working with it. I have a pretty zippy laptop, so I dont think its that.
    I see when it starts that its loading in various Midi things. Can I disable anything Midi? Ill never need to use it as all I use it for is laying down bass lines and ideas. What can I disable to make it run faster?
    Thanks

2. Have fast is your laptop? It's really the CPU processor speed, amount of RAM, and your harddisk speed that affects start-ups. You may have a lot of other software in the background, that will slow down the system too, like antivirus programs.

Midi stuff? I don't this slows the start-up, maybe the vst plugins. Some are large like Addictive Drums. It take a couple of seconds to load that up.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You need an external hard drive for the audio files. Recording to the system drive will slow it down to a crawl.

4. Three things to do to improve Pro-Tools Performance:

1. Don't use other CPU intensive programs at the same time you're using protools, although most modern computers are capable of handling it, any reources used elsewhere will decrease the quality of Protools' Performance.

2. Go to Protools: Setup: Playback Engine and set the value of CPU usage to about 90%
    The Buffer size can vary depending on the situation, lower values for recording, higher values for mixing.

3. Turn off any graphic/design features of windows.
    4. Enable DMA
    5. Disable System Stanby
    6. If running Vista, disable User Account Control

There are many other options on how to improve Pro Tools perfomance, but since you're using the SE Version you shouldn't need to turn off as many things as you would need for bigger Pro Tools systems.

5. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks guys. Ive since found some videos on YouTube on this subject.

Hellbastard (great name btw): What's DMA?

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Direct Memory Access,
    It's a bus mastering feature for windows.
    It essentially allows your Hard Drive and CD Rom Drive to transfer their data directly to and from memory without passing through the Processor.

7. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    dont use a laptop. I been using PT since the digi 001 and it is a hog, disable everything you can think of, use a separate hard drive for recording/saving your songs and best if a 3rd for plugins. an external drive will never be as good as an internal on a desktop! I have 4 hard drives in my computer and still get bogged down sometimes. Use the least amount of plugins as possible, or get the effect just how you like it and write it to the track so you can get rid of it off the tracks plugins! I am a die hard PT user but it is the pickiest little B**** out there! Also try and use firewire, USB has never been good for me with PT

8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    It is a little pricey, but going from mechanical hard drives to solid state hard drives makes a big difference.

9. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Max out the RAM. Using the stock amount for DAW is a big handicap.

Record to a fast external FW drive. Same.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021