1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make the beveled edges of pickguard to shine?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by musicelectronix, Mar 16, 2009.

1. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Well. I recieved a custom cut pickguard and paid more than usual for it. It seems to be cut with a bevel router bit (dull bit??) and looks kinda rough. Needless to say I am not happy with it. So I am wondering if there is a method to clean it up and make it shine.

I guess the answer will be to use a sand paper, but I need more detailed responses if possible (grit, material, method etc). Also there may be chemicals I don't know about.

2. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

The best answer would be to recut it with a new bit. Send it back.
    :spit:
    I know that isn't the answer you were looking for...

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Razor blade scraper. Take a fresh single edge razor blade and turn the edge against a hard steel or carbide rod. Scrape the edge smooth. Tip: The bevel bit left minature scallops on the edge. The scraper will ride up and down and deepen the scallops if the blade is held parallel to the scallops. Hold the blade at a 30 to 60 degree angle to the scallops. The edge will be smooth.

If you require a higher polish, you will have to employ abrasives. This is not recommended as the risk of rounding over the edges is great.

One last caveat. This technique requires excellent hand eye skills. If you don't have them now, you may have an expensive pile of plastic later.

Good luck.

4. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Thanks a lot, but you see; If I had the skills and the tools to do what you suggested, I would cut and bevel the guard myself to begin with and wouldn't have that problem ;) I was looking for a more of DIY kinda approach.

Returning the pickguard is not an option. The guy was very rude and less-than-in.......t . I am just happy that I recieved what I ordered, at least roughly. I certainly will not suggest or endorse him to anyone else. Also he had a return policy basicly tells to suck it if you don't send the original pickguard for tracing.