How to Make the Body Heavier...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by M_Shannonigans, Feb 22, 2010.

1. M_Shannonigans

M_Shannonigans

Feb 18, 2010
    Hey everybody, long time viewer, first time poster.

So a few months back I picked up one of Fender's MIJ Jaguar basses, which I absolutely love. However, it is pretty neck heavy and playing it while sitting down isn't very comfortable.

As a solution, I am trying to find a way to make the body of the bass heavier without really replacing any of the individual parts. I am used to the weight of my MIA 5-string Jazz so giving this bass some extra weight won't bother me at all. Friends have suggested replacing the tuners with a lighter set but these tuners work fine and I strongly believe in not fixing things when they aren't broken.

Being of the DIY atheistic and not caring much for the appearance of the back of body, is there any material I could affix to the back of it to weigh it down? My guess is that just another 16-20 ounces of anything will help the overall balance. Any bright ideas? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    some solid blocks of steel cut to fit the open areas in the routes under the pickguard, and a heavier bridge.

3. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I have a Jag and I find it already too heavy. I wouldn't add weight to it.
    Replace the stock bridge by a badass II, replace the tuners by lighter ones... adding weight ? I don't know how you could do it.

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    In my opinion adding weight to the body is a very poor solution to get the bass well balanced.

Jaguar bass has a major project flaw by using those old fashion heavy tuners on a long scale neck with a short upper horn body.

If you would play this bass everyday replacing the tuners by some lighter ones worths a lot and its easy to just reinstall the originals if you decide to sell it.

my 2 ¢

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Try this for a trial period: clamp, attach, whatever some fishing weights or the like to the butt end of your strap and not the bass itself. Your back won't know the difference.

Riis

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021