Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to make the M-Pulse fan quieter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dee-man, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Howdy all. I've been thinking about getting the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 (please pm me if you have or know of one for sale). I think it sounds great, however, the fan is quite loud to my ears and the fan noise only goes away when I play at significant volume (by myself, that is). I'm wondering if a rack or case would make a significant difference. Does anybody have any tried and true tips or other suggestions? Thanks.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm in agreement with this, and have wondered about it myself. My Walkabout fan is crazy loud - it would have been nice if they had made it temperature controlled.

Of course, those guys in Boogie R&D don't exactly test their stuff at low volumes. :smug:

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is that one of those "always on" fans???
    i recall the eden wt-400's fan was loud, but it only came on at about 50 degrees centigrade or so.
    i've also heard of quieter fans being available for amps but darned if i can remenber what they are or where to get them.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    my wt800 fan is loud as hell but i deal with because it sound so good.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol - i agree. it was funny between tunes when my 400's fan kicked on with that "spaceship taking off" whine. I'd usually get a "what the hell is that?!?!?!?" from the singer. :p

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    If a filter can be mounted in front of the fan (intake), not only will it help muffle the noise but keep the internals clean as well. The slight reduction in air flow will quiet it down some.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds interesting. i'd check with mesa though. i think it would take some doing to do that to an eden as i had my fan suck some stuff in once due to its power. (halloween show - the silly cotton spiderweb stuff - :rolleyes: ). I'd also be a bit worried that the filter would slowly get clogged over time compromising the airflow too much. :confused:

8. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the responses. I'll contact Mesa and see what they say, and I'll ask about the filter idea too.

Yes, the fan is always on (same with the M-Pulse 360 I tried about a 8 months ago), and I haven't been able to ignore it yet (I have an Eden WT550 which makes zero noise, so I've probably gotten spoiled). Any other ideas anybody?