1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make the next step!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by root fifth, Oct 3, 2010.

1. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    So i have not been playing very long but i fear i made a mistake!I am 24 and i play in a foundation style nice and low mudding every thing together!So even with my love for bass i now find my self left out.I will play along with the wife when she breaks out the guitar but this is not to often!I have jammed with the brother inlaw but he got his own thing going on in a real band.And i have put a little time in finding others to play with but when they hear i am 24 and have only been playing alittle over 6 months they say they need some one with more experince!

So i love a folk style and older outlaw country and this is what i want to play.So do i keep driving my self nuts playing root fifth to youtube vids.Or do i hang it up and look for a guitar and play some leads!

2. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Not looking to play with a bunch of young teens in a garage band just some people who want to get together and jam.I feel i need more time in a group to further my playing?

3. Scales!!!! Learn them, love them. If the musicians you want tomjam with can't tell you the key or give you a simple chord chart, move on.

4. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Its not a lack of musicanship to play with its not being given a chance to play with others.I have even considered going to one of those churchs with a band and all the new age church folk and trying to get in with them so i can progress in my music!

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Broaden your horizons and learn other genres of music. Or better yet, go hang out at clubs where country music is played and put up notices at music gear store. Approach peeps something along the lines of: "24 yr old new bass player looking for other country and bluegrass muscians to play and learn with". But if theres very few country music places in your area it might be best to learn some basic rock etc music. Btw some newer country does have rock type groove so it wont hurt your playing ability for country to learn rock to. If you go about things looking for others to jam and learn with just for fun you might have more success. Rather then advertising for joining a band allready together. Good luck and enjoy playing.

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    My approach includes jammin' with Guitar Pro software & the zillions of free downloads (for it) in the following styles: Classic & 80's rock, blues, classic & new country, R & B. This is combined with working through the 3 book/CD series, Hal Leonard's Complete Bass combined with major scales in more popular keys, pentatonic scales in the same major keys, learning the fretboard, practicing root-fifths, various techniques including speed, slap, first, second, fourth finger work with the fretting hand, posture, playing with/without strap, and making sure I DO NOT frown while practicing! Practice walking bass!
    :bassist:

7. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Why was this moved?

8. Normally a good bass is always in demand. Getting recognized as a good bass -- that's the question.

Looks like Country is played in your neck of the woods, because of that -- that's what you need to get good at.

R-5 with chromatic runs to the next chord and echoing the vocalist's melody - in short runs - are what the Country bands are at ease with. They want that Country groove. What is echo melody -- think gospel and how the male voices echo a phrase.
    Gotta get your bass out of the house. Hooking up with a band is word of mouth IMHO. Friends play with friends, keep asking. Ask if you could attend some gigs as an observer, haul their stuff in and out, make yourself useful, one of these days their bass will have to miss a gig and who knows they may have you sit in.

Worked for me, that's how I hooked up. Asked a friend if I could just tag along. After a couple of gigs he said; "Next time bring your banjo". Banjo led to rhythm guitar and rhythm guitar led to bass.

Give this some thought. A band only needs one bass. A band can always add another rhythm guitar.....stand on the back row and learn how to function in a band. If you can sing backup you probably need not stand on the back row.

You mentioned getting a guitar and playing some leads, forget the leads, I bet they already have a lead guitar and besides that - lead electric guitar in a Country band is playing the tune by ear which takes years to prefect. Be satisfied to play in the rhythm section first. Connecting with a band and being known, even as the "rodie" should brings some offers. Get out of the house and be around musicians.

Good luck.

9. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks so much for the input.But i have no want to be in a band i love music and enjoy playing bass thought me playing would get me in on more jamming but that fell apart.See my wifes family use to get together and play every so often and i would always sit and enjoy it.So what do 2 to 4 guitars need but a bass player so i started learning bass.Then her dad died and these get togethers have almost stoped.So now i play good rhythm bass but have no guitar to compliment.It is gitting old playing root fifth to you tube vids!So i enjoy playing music so do i learn guitar to play songs my self or try to change from a foundation bass player to more of a soloist and play on those outlawed d and g strings to play music?Hope you get what i am saying

10. Bass is an accompaniment instrument. If you want to solo get a solo instrument. Keyboard is the ultimate solo instrument. One of the mid size keyboards will run about $199 US, or you can get an inexpensive keyboard for under $100. One like this is under $30 at Toys-R-Us. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...df16b5cc7138f13429a8df16b5cc713-1418521347239

Sorry about that - could not resist.

I play chord piano from fake chord sheet music. Do a Google to see what this is all about. You need not go the classical route, which takes years.

11. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    Your right and thats my problem no one to play with.But i dont think keys are for me !

12. root fifth

root fifth

Sep 11, 2010
    bump

13. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Maybe you should try different youTube videos...

Check out [DEL]Grand Funk Railroad [/DEL]"You're So Good To Me".
    Fairly easy and predictable, but it'll get you going on some other chord tones and passing tones.

Once you got it down, try making your own variations in the verse without detracting from the vocals.

Edit: My bad. I got confused - this song is by Darrel Evans. Still a good beginner bass workout, if you don't mind contemporary Christian genre.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021